Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax *ist Selection Dial problem

My friend recently bought a *ist off the forum here (through me), and it has a problem with its selection dial (E-dial, if you use the term the DSLRs use.) Basically, you can select the mode, but once you're in a mode (say, Av) you can adjust the aperture one way but not the other. The dial only spins one way, and unfortunately doesn't loop around!

Pentax has no parts and won't work on it, does anyone know who I can send it to?

07-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

How can Pentax not have any parts for it? The e-dials were the same across all the *ist bodies...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #3

Does it physically not turn or turns, but fails to change the aperture?
Anyhow, how about trying this - TV-Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant:
TV-Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant - RadioShack.com
-$11 at RadioShack - it saved my *istDs when the dial stopped working properly.
Basically, it removes dirt and such from the contacts.
07-30-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adam: This is the FILM *ist body, not a *ist D/DL/DS. The E-dials on the digitals are totally different.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-autofocus-film-slr-camera-reviews/...ntax-*ist.html

The dial turns one way, but physically WILL NOT turn the other way. It feels like a mechanical defect, not a problem with dirt.

07-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd take the camera to your local repair shop. Maybe they won't need to use new parts to fix it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd take the camera to your local repair shop. Maybe they won't need to use new parts to fix it.
I don't have one of those.