Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #16

That makes a lotta sense.

The camera, my shop and I will be reunited in about 10 days; I'll look into this then.

Bob Palmieri

08-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incidentally, I've occasionally used a Wein cell in my old Canon bodies: one actually lasted a lot longer than advertised, (This may be attributable to the drier and colder climate I was in, and infrequent use: still it did surprisingly well to keep meters live in infrequently-used camera. Another didn't fare as well down here. )

For some unattributable reason, incidentally, I found a single silver cell for the ME Super-era body that I stuck in one of those old Canons gave me accuracy, at least in a fairly useful range: the thing about the mercury cells, though, is that they give a pretty constant voltage throughout their life, whereas many other types change. Still in the process of seeing how my results hold with the silver.
08-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Spotmatic, and have been using 1.5v batteries. My exposures have been dead on, which surprised more than a few people. Of course, my camera has a decent service history, and it's possible that the meter was calibrated at some point, but I'd say it's worth a battery and a roll of film to find out if your camera can handle the voltage difference.
08-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I have a Spotmatic, and have been using 1.5v batteries. My exposures have been dead on, which surprised more than a few people. Of course, my camera has a decent service history, and it's possible that the meter was calibrated at some point, but I'd say it's worth a battery and a roll of film to find out if your camera can handle the voltage difference.
are you using an original SP or an SPII? I have actually since posting this topic, invested in a C.R.I.S. adapter and couldn’t be happier. I would personally suggest this route to anyone who plans on using an SP often. its expensive, but I think a worthwhile investment since it will allow you to use cheaper batteries instead of trying to find proper 1.35v replacements. I don’t know if using a higher voltage battery could do damage to the electronics over time, since the SP apparently does not have a bridge circuit, but I figure there is no reason to take that chance.

08-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
That's what I did, & I haven't had a problem.
Cheers, Pickles.
08-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
are you using an original SP or an SPII? I have actually since posting this topic, invested in a C.R.I.S. adapter and couldn’t be happier. I would personally suggest this route to anyone who plans on using an SP often. its expensive, but I think a worthwhile investment since it will allow you to use cheaper batteries instead of trying to find proper 1.35v replacements. I don’t know if using a higher voltage battery could do damage to the electronics over time, since the SP apparently does not have a bridge circuit, but I figure there is no reason to take that chance.
It's an original SP. I'm fairly certain that the meter was calibrated at some point, because it has a decent service history and accurate, consistent exposures. It's entirely possible that it was adapted to take 1.5 volts at that time.
Of course it's in to Eric right now, so everything is going to be back in pristine condition soon enough.
08-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a silver oxide cell that fits well ( without having to use an o-ring ) in a Spotmatic? Right now I have a 1.4 V Hearing aid battery in my new ( to me ) SP II, and I would rather get the longer lasting silver oxide cell..plus, the hearing aid batteries I have are about 3 years past their "best if used by" date...