Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax SP1000 Meter Switch Help

I have recently adopted a Pentax SP1000. I put a new battery in the camera and attempted to test and use the light meter. I get no readings. It doesn't budge. I followed the manuals directions, changed the shutter speed to B and changed the ASA to ASA 100. I push the light meter switch on and nothing. Are light meter reading problems common with my camera? Can it be fixed or can I verify that its really the light meter, the switch itself, or some other problem.

I live on the island of Kauai and getting to a good camera service person is almost impossible. So if I can test or fix this myself that would be ideal.

Can anyone also tell me how I can remove the lens. It came with a variety of lenses and I would like to switch them, but I can't seem to get the original lens off.

Thanks for your help!

08-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The meter could be dead although every spotmatic I've ever seen has had a working meter to some degree.

Just some thoughts based on my own experiences...

Make sure that the sprung contact inside the battery compartment is ok. I have seen at least one camera where this had broken and the only way to make contact was to put some aluminium foil in there. In the end I replaced the base plate.

I had one Spotmatic where the meter did not work because of a poor connection between the battery compartment itself and the camera. Remove the base plate by undoing the four screws on the plate. You will see that the battery compartment comes away with the base plate and is connected electrically via surface contact. Make sure this is clean and making a good connection.

Turn the lens counter clockwise (facing the camera) to remove it. There is no locking mechanism. If it does not budge then its stuck for some reason and you'll need to investigate.

cheers

Greg
08-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank you for the suggestions and how to on the battery and meter. That kind of advice was what I was hoping for, a place to start the process of elimination. I will investigate and report back. Thanks again.
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all,

Don't mean to make a stupid suggestion here, but as I recall from many years ago with my own spotmatic, the batteries were a special type and even though other more common varieties would fit in the hole, they weren't correct.

You're probably on top of this one, but it's worth double checking the battery is the correct type.

-Good luck.

08-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was able to clean the contacts of the battery with a pencil erraser. It worked right away so that is great news.

I was also able to change the lens. Thanks.

I am wondering, it says in the manual to make sure the meter switch is off, or in the down position before storing the camera. But my meter keeps working in the down position. The switch doesn't really click off, it slides down. Maybe I am missing something? Otherwise, I am thrilled its working.
08-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regarding the meter switch...

I tried a couple and they seem to click and slide in position. Not a positive click.

Does the aperture correctly close/open when moving the switch when the lens is set to auto? Or you can check the aperture plate at the bottom of the lens opening and verify it moves with the switch. If the aperture works correctly but the meter keeps reading then there must be broken connection shorting out the switch.

Glad you got the battery sorted.

cheers

Greg
08-27-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am wondering, it says in the manual to make sure the meter switch is off, or in the down position before storing the camera. But my meter keeps working in the down position. The switch doesn't really click off, it slides down. Maybe I am missing something? Otherwise, I am thrilled its working.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to turn the meter off by sliding the switch to the lower position (and it should turn off automatically by firing the shutter if the meter is on when you record an image). If that doesn't work for you it sounds like the switch mechanism is defective.

08-27-2007, 03:45 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by digitaldiva Quote
... down position before storing the camera. But my meter keeps working in the down position.
Just a Quick Note. Your describe the meter as still working.. with the Switch in the down position...

Does the needle still move with a change in light or

is just hanging about 2/3rds down...

If it is just hanging around 2/3rds down then that is the off position.