Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
? CLA in San Jose, CA area ?

Any recommendations on where, in San Jose, CA area, to take a Pentax for a 1st rate CLA ? Reasonably priced of course

08-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I seem to remember seeing someone located in SFO on E-bay offering CLA service. If I'm correct, their specialty was Ni*on but would do work on other brands so you might check there. However, it also sticks in my mind that their cost was much higher than Eric's, even with shipping. Plus, Eric was a long time employee of Pentax so they are his specialty. Check him out at Home.

CW
08-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by --Moe-- Quote
Any recommendations on where, in San Jose, CA area, to take a Pentax for a 1st rate CLA ? Reasonably priced of course
Best Pentax CLA available is Eric Hendricson in Sharps Chapel, TN. Everyone here uses him - reliable, competent, best-in-the business. Oddsa are you will finf he is lower cost and faster service, including shipping, than you can get locally.

View his website, terms and prices HERE
08-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by --Moe-- Quote
I develop my films in 35 and 120 b&w in Foto Express of San Jose. The owner Henry recommended me a trusted place for CLA in San Jose by the name Kamera Korner. Their website is www.kamerakorner.net. According to Henry, this is a rare shop that he knows in Bay Area that does a reasonable job in CLA, sensor cleaning and repair job. Unfortunately, I have not used this place except getting recommendation from Henry.

Please do let me know if you actually going to try their service. I am about to call them for a light seal fixing on my Pentax MX and a Vivitar 35EE rangefinder. When I look at their latest flyer, it has a business closing discount, which is NOT a good sign that I want to see.

I know Eric is wonderful but I think the OP is trying to find some place that is local and that sometime, it is also a blessing to support local business when we can. Not that I have anything against Eric, who is among the most respected repairmen frequently mentioned in the forum, it will be lovely to have more than one trusted source for repair.

I will report back my light seal fixing story. I did fix up the light seal of two copies of Ricoh xr-p which is the easiest to do as the foam in the mirror box is usually intact not needing repair. For my MX, the mirror frame appears to be the hardest to get to without smearing the mirror and focusing screen. As for my Vivitar 35EE rangefinder, is that a rangefinder, I think it is. The light seal should be very trivial to fix but I am not sure about the other things in a CLA job, especially the checking and repair on shutter release and exposure.

Can't wait to get this puppy up and running again
Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 08-11-2010 at 10:54 AM.
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your best Pentax service option is as close as your nearest post office.
Send your camera to Eric Hendrickson and it will be delivered to your home working like new.

Chris
08-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank You for the CLA reccomendations

I am going to contact Eric Hendrickson about CLA work 1st.
I have a Black MX arriving soon that will need his attention.

Last edited by Moe49; 08-13-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: grammer error
08-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Have you tried Keeble & Shuchat in download Palo Alto?

09-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would someone here be willing to tell me what CLA stands for? I'm getting an MX at the end of the month and though the seller says it will work fine, he recommends getting it CLA'd at some point. I've read about Eric, so have an idea of where to send it when the time comes, but it would help if I understood what I was asking him to do:-)
09-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Would someone here be willing to tell me what CLA stands for? I'm getting an MX at the end of the month and though the seller says it will work fine, he recommends getting it CLA'd at some point. I've read about Eric, so have an idea of where to send it when the time comes, but it would help if I understood what I was asking him to do:-)
Clean, Lubricate, and Adjust.

A light CLA will usually involve cosmetic cleaning, replacement of seals and mirror bumper. Eric will do a full dis-assembly and will restore the camera is nearly as possible to factory specs. He will also do this for a very moderate price.

Steve
09-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Your best Pentax service option is as close as your nearest post office.
Send your camera to Eric Hendrickson and it will be delivered to your home working like new.

Chris
I have sent my Pentax MX to Eric yesterday and I will try my best to help Eric promote his outstanding service to others in my blog when the appropriate time is right. Eric is very responsive to my needs and he writes me back with all of my questions and concerns.

Instead of sending my Vivitar 35EE rangefinder to Eric for CLA service, I actually decide to do it myself on the light sealing as it looks simple enough to worth educating myself one more time after I have done it successfully for my Ricoh xr-p.

By the way, the Kamera Corner that I mentioned about in San Jose, CA. It was too bad economy downturn has taken the shop out of business. The bay area has one less reliable local shops for service. I have not visited the Keeble in Palo Alto, CA and I have heard from others that they start outsourcing some of the film repair to some other shops.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-02-2010 at 02:13 PM.
09-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Have you tried Keeble & Shuchat in download Palo Alto?
I have not visited the store for checking out if they offer any camera repair service. But I learned it from Henry in Foto Express of San Jose that he has serveral clients that recommend another shop in Mountain View, CA by the name of International Camera Technician

It will make sense to support Eric while learning other means of local businesses that we in Pentax community with film gear can also choose locally to support.

Thanks,
Hin