Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I've bought an MX, now where to buy film in Toronto?

So I finally decided to get back into using film occasionally, and found an MX on eBay for a good price (still waiting for it to arrive). Naturally I figured I'd need some film, so I checked prices at Vistek, Henry's and Downtown for BW400CN and Ektar, and it seemed a little pricey. So I checked B+H, and the price difference is quite shocking. For 10 36 exposure rolls of each, I can get the film shipped from B+H for 2/3 the price that I'd pay locally. Are there any stores in Toronto, or any online shops in Canada that have decent prices for film?

08-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always just take it for granted that this is one of the great things about living here.
08-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've had some luck buying unwanted or expired film dirt cheap on the used market but I'm not aware of any Canadian retailers with film prices comparable to US market rates.

Shoppers Drug Mart used to put 5 packs of Fuji Superia 400 on sale at a half decent price occasionally. There are a lot of other films I prefer but it is alright for general use and snapshots. I usually keep a couple of rolls around to function check new bodies.
08-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
So it looks like I'll be setting aside some film storage space in the fridge, and buying in bulk from the US. And thanks to Steinback, keeping an eye open for deals when I'm in a Shoppers or Loblaws.

08-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter

You should check out Freestyle's online site:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/

Phil.
08-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
Phil, thanks for the link. I'll probably order from Freestyle when/if I get set up to process b+w at home. Really just have to figure out how to keep the cat from considering the hanging film a toy!

Further on the subject of film, back in the day I was using Agfapan in Rodinal for all my b+w work. Agfa is gone now, but I'm seeing names I'd never heard of before like Adox, Arista, Efke and Foma. Anyone have experience with any of those?

Thanks.
08-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Yep I’ve used Foma’s “Fomapan R 100” b&w slide film (Agfa Scala replacement?) and it’s great. Draw back is that you have to have it processed in a lab in Denver.

Efke uses the same formula as Adox, but under a different name. I’ve used the 50 & 100ASA films and they are also very good.

Phil.

PS Yes cats love thinks that hang, I’m sure yours will thank you for leaving some film dangling around!!
08-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
Phil, thanks again. I used to shoot Scala in medium format and loved it. Not very forgiving using it for portraits though!

I've been reading some threads on photo.net, and it seems to be accepted there that Arista Premium 100 and 400 are re-badged Plus-X and Tri-X respectively. Having started 30 years ago with Tri-X in D76, I think I'll start off trying those, but as I get older and appreciate convenience more and more, I'll likely develop it in XTOL 1:1. Room temperature mixing, what a great idea.

As to the cat issue, I think I've got that solved. I'm going to string a line across the ceiling in the shower. I hang the film to dry, close the door, instant film drying cabinet. Might even put a small fan in there. And kitty will have to content himself with his other toys.

08-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Most of my second hand film has come from PHSC shows; there are usually 2 vendors there selling 6 month to 5 year expired film. Most of it is 120 and 220 but I've also seen quite a range of 35mm and some APS. It's a good setup for people willing to dig through piles of old junk to find what they want.

The fall date is Oct. 17 in Woodbridge:
PHSC - Home Page
http://www.phsc.ca/fair/fall-2010-poster.pdf