Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

pentax MF camera specs

so ive got a bunch of m42 mount taks that i use on my dslr, and i need a new 35mm camera. id like manual focus (split prism), id like to be able to use the taks on it and id like it to have specs similar to the nikon fe2 (1/4000th shutter speed, 1/250th high speed flash sync). so did pentax ever make a camera like this?

08-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out the Pentax Camera Reviews - Reviews of Pentax K-x, K-7, 645D other cameras - PentaxForums.com for a nice listing of all Pentax manual focus cameras- just look at the rightmost column!

You're probably interested in a https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-manual-focus-film-slr-camera-revie...pentax-lx.html, which is a professional Pentax manual-focus body. You can also look at the newer film bodies, such as the MZ-S (1/6000th max shutter speed) or PZ-1 (1/8000th).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks, i dont think what im after exists. the main thing here is i want those specs and the ability to use my m42 lenses.
08-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by namtot Quote
thanks, i dont think what im after exists. the main thing here is i want those specs and the ability to use my m42 lenses.
  • All screw mount Pentax camera bodies will accept your lenses, but none meet your needs spec-wise
  • All K-mount bodies will accept your lenses with the M42/K-mount adapter
The LX is probably the closest overall, but lacks the high shutter speed and flash sync. The best resource for camera specs is found on Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page. He has detailed information about every K-mount Pentax body made. Additional information may be found in the user guides for individual models. Those are available for download at the Pentax USA Web site.

To be honest, I don't believe that you are going to be able to match the general specs of the FE2 outside of the Nikon brand on a traditional manual focus body. Pentax made full featured AF bodies in the PZ series with ultra-fast shutters (LINK), that will match the FE2 performance, but in a different type of package.

Out of curiosity, why do you need the high shutter and sync speed? If it is to allow for shallow DOF or flash-biased exposure in bright conditions, a ND filter and/or a powerful flash setup might be a solution at slower shutter speeds.

Steve

08-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

With M42 the voigtlander bessaflex from a few years back would come close to what you want.
Other than that a good M42-K adapter will do the trick
08-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
Banned

buy an LX and an m42 to kmount adapter. thats the best recommendation I can give you. it wont meet your desired specs, but for the world of Pentax, you cant get closer unless you use a 90’s era AF body. who knows, you might fall in love with the LX. or you could look at other manufacturer m42 and kmount bodies. the bessaflex as mentioned above is a good recommendation.

Last edited by séamuis; 08-20-2010 at 06:38 AM.
08-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

I don't know why you want such specs but I can live with an old Chinon CEII Memotron for giving my takumars a little bit of exercise... Only 1/2000 max shutter speed (don't think I ever used it that fast though). But it does aperture priority AE with all M42 lenses, with open aperture focusing. All the K-mount need the M42 adapter that can't handle the auto pin.

08-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe a Contax body with M42 adapter, possibly S2 or RTS III? I think ST might have offered 1/200? I'm not a Contax expert so you'll need to do your homework...but these were some of the few high-end MF bodies that matched up spec-wise with some of Nikon's best.

The only cameras Pentax ever made with a 1/250 sync speed (along with insane 1/8000 top shutter speed) are the PZ-1, PZ-1p, Z-1, Z-1p, Z-5, and Z-5p. These are of course autofocus cameras, and don't come with split-prism focusing screens. It *may* be possible to retrofit such a screen however.

The MZ-S is pretty close, it has 1/180 and 1/6000 shutter, and also supports high-speed sync (though I'm not 100% certain this will work with M42 glass).

Both had user-replaceable screens so it shouldn't be too much trouble to find split-prism screens that will fit. I have seen Canon focusing screens that have been modified to fit MZ-S for example.