Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black Camera Collection

Is a black, well loved and brassy, pre-spot PENTAX better than no black PENTAXes at all in a collection?

I'm thinking it's a placeholder 'till I find that cherry old black PENTAX at a garage sale for $3!

Last edited by puderse; 06-23-2015 at 11:12 AM.
08-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Wow- what a steal! The old Pentax film bodies can definitely be acquired for nothing- I've gotten the same great deals on ebay.
08-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Banned

I have been trying to get my hands on a black SV for quite some time. I have a black spotmatic, but its going to the fiancé, for proper love and brassing. and to your question, no. no it isn’t, because some cameras are just that good, black or not. the SV is one of these. hell even the spotmatic. thats the great thing about the 50s and 60s Pentax cameras. they are all timeless and beautiful, satin chrome or black.
08-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #4

Folks -

This black H2 (which I bought fitted with your basic 83mm f/1.9 Takumar) is in fact a really beautiful thing (with a bit 'o brassing). The body proportions are very appealing.

Bob Palmieri

08-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by snapwell Quote
Folks -

This black H2 (which I bought fitted with your basic 83mm f/1.9 Takumar) is in fact a really beautiful thing (with a bit 'o brassing). The body proportions are very appealing.

Bob Palmieri
there is nothing basic about an 83mm 1.9 Takumar, and I know you know that.
08-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #6

Indeed.

Maybe I oughtta start using those smiley things...

Bob Palmieri
08-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I have been trying to get my hands on a black SV for quite some time. I have a black spotmatic, but its going to the fiancé, for proper love and brassing. and to your question, no. no it isn’t, because some cameras are just that good, black or not. the SV is one of these. hell even the spotmatic. thats the great thing about the 50s and 60s Pentax cameras. they are all timeless and beautiful, satin chrome or black.
Like this one?

08-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Folks -

Bob Palmieri
Where did you find such a gem stone?
08-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #9

It was an abandoned repair that had sat on a high shelf of a camera store serving a purely decorative function as a "cute, old camera." It took me months to convince them to sell it.

So far, I've fixed the diaphragm on the lens and freed up the shutter curtains (with a dose of lighter fluid mentioned in another post.) All that remains to be tweaked is a bit of dryness in the shutter knob when accessing B or T and tightening an interior screw or two elsewhere in the lens mount.
Otherwise it's fully functional; in fact I was shooting with it last night.
08-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #10

Yes, but I don't have one of those cool normal lenses...
08-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #11

Original Poster
black SV

Mine's a little more beat up than yours. And a little grubby!

Does anyone have a better idea about cleaning it up (not the glass!) than a toothbrush dipped in windex and then dried almost completly before cleaning the 50 years of crustieness out of every crevice of the metal and skin.

I will not be taking it apart just to clean it up.

Someone sugested Flitz but I don't want to loose the patina on the brassieness.

You can see my F has been my buddy a long time.
08-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
Banned

Indeed.

Maybe I oughtta start using those smiley things...

Bob Palmieri
you mind showing a photo of your 83mm 1.9? id like to see that.
08-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by puderse Quote
Is a black, well loved and brassy, pre-spot PENTAX better than no black PENTAXes at all in a collection?

I'm thinking it's a placeholder 'till I find that cherry old black PENTAX at a garage sale for $3!
Black is beautifull. Almost all my Pentax bodies are black: SV, Spotmatic, KX, K2, MX, LX, Super-A, Program-A, *istDS, K20D, K-7, all working and in use,...only my MZ-5 is not black. Still looking for a black ME Super and a K2 DMD (which I think is all black). Would not mind something from before the SV either, as long as it is black.
08-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #14

H2 w/83mm Lens

OK... lessee if I can do this (just realized that I fergot to resize, so if it comes out stupid-big I'll try again):
Attached Images

08-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #15
Banned

beautiful. id love to have one of those. probably more than all other m42 Takumars.