Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #1

ME Super film advance lever problem!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello all.
I have a Pentax ME Super that was working properly yesterday when I put it on ebay. Today I was fiddling with it because it was next to my computer, and it doesn't work properly anymore. Now, it will only cock the shutter every other time I advance the lever. It advances the frame number, and I assume the film, but every other time, the shutter won't fire. I think the top screw is a bit loose, because if I hold the lever down when I cock the shutter, it works. I've tried to tighten the top screw, but it doesn't help.
Does anyone know a quick fix for this? Do I have a camera listing I have to take down?

Thanks for any and all help!

~Thursday

08-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't believe your problem is with the "top screw". That screw is just a cap to cover the nut underneath that tightens the film advance lever. The "top screw" is also reverse threaded, so keep that in mind when trying to remove it. A friction driver will work to get that off. Then you will need some sort of spanner wrench to tighten the nut.

My ME Super had a similar shutter cocking issue. The film would advance, but it wouldn't always cock the shutter. Sometimes it would skip 3 or 4 frames before it would catch and fire. The problem with mine was one of the little rubber bumpers inside had turned to goo and was causing the mechanism not to catch right. I did fix it by tearing the camera down and removing the mirror box so I could access the parts that were causing the problem. Once accessed the fix was easy. Cleaned the goo off and put a very small drop of silicon lubricant on the pivot point and reassembled the camera. It's worked perfectly ever since. I suppose this fix will be intimidating for a lot of people, so be warned that it is not nessesarily easy.

Here is a picture with a green arrow pointed at the problem pivot on my camera.

A web site with lots of good info for fixing old cameras. Also has some links to the factory manual.

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings
08-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had the same problem with my ME super, but instead of taking things in my own hands, I brought mine to the nearest Pentax service center... they cleaned and fixed it up real good! Now it's working perfectly! I paid about $38 all in all though...
09-09-2007, 02:49 AM   #4

ill have to pull down my mg and me supper as they both will not load the shutter or advance the film the super was working fine then been stored for awhile then when it was taken out it wouldnt load.

So i brought a mg ment to be working on ebay and it has the same problem. its very nice looking not a mark on it but the foam inside the body where to mirror body seals have worn away and the black goo that holds the foam on is sticking on the mirro and holds the mirror shut.

The mirro on the me is in excelt condinton but the c amera looks used does any one know if i can swap them around to make one mint condition working camera if i can get it to wind on and load the shutter.

The shop in perth wants 88 bucks to fix the winder but thats not including parts if they need it and to fix the mirro so if i can find out it the me and mg mirror will fit ill have a go as i rather use the mg then my p30t

09-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It sounds like you may have an issue with the wind lock? Check out the link I posted above if you are interested in trying to fix it yourself.

All the foam seals had turned to goo in my ME Super. I bought an inexpensive seal replacement kit on e-bay and did the replacement myself. This is a pretty simple job for anyone who can work with their hands at all.
09-10-2007, 02:22 AM   #6

cheers for the link i managed to get the mg working fine and about to run a roll of film thru it to see how it goes, i also got the me super going but its still jams up now and then it needs a good service and an oil
09-10-2007, 05:05 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
It sounds like you may have an issue with the wind lock? Check out the link I posted above if you are interested in trying to fix it yourself.

All the foam seals had turned to goo in my ME Super. I bought an inexpensive seal replacement kit on e-bay and did the replacement myself. This is a pretty simple job for anyone who can work with their hands at all.

i need to replace the foam of my mg whta was it under in ebay ?

09-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I got it here. He's a really nice guy to deal with too. Very helpful, and a great price, excellent instructions.
09-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #9

thats a full on add but ive brought a kit so ill see how i go.

any one got any tips on cleaning the black goo of the plastic view finder above the mirror ?

Cheers Shane