Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cable releases?

I'm talking about the old fashioned kind, the ones that screw into the shutter and you push a plunger in.

I had a good one, vintage 70s, cloth covered, but I've misplaced it. I've picked up a couple more, but these aren't so good: on the vinyl covered ones the plastic sheath tends to come loose from the metal fitting - and so when I plunge, the cover moves up instead of needle down into the shutter... a nice short vintage cloth one that came with one of my Retinas has a plunger that's too short for most shutter arrangements (save some old folding camera Compur type where the cable release threads into its separate hole in the shutter)...

So: what are the reliable and well made ones? I see there is a range of prices at B&H for example, ranging from $60 for a Hama or Linhof 20" down to "General Brand" 12" vinyl job for $7. Where's the sweet spot for reliability and cost?

08-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The original Pentax one is pretty good, it's cloth covered, probably still available in some shops? I got mine brand new from our local Pentax distributor.

I have another one which came w/ the K2 camera I bought off the bay, it looks and feels even better than the Pentax one. It says HANSA JAPAN on the stopper ring. A quick google search indicates that Hansa is a Japanese company who specializes in camera accessories.
08-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Banned

the ‘Asahi Pentax Cable Release II’ shows up on ebay quite often. usually for more than they are really worth, but they are well made cable releases for sure. I have two of them. the pentax shutters were pretty ‘standard’ i think for the time, so most cable releases should fit.
08-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #4

Hi Nesster,

I have an new, unused HAMA shutter release in the box I would sell to you at a very reasonable price (I don't shoot film anymore, so it will never be used by me). I think it's a 20 inch (will have to check though).

PM me if you're interested.

Cheers.

08-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
I recently purchased and have been very happy with the Hakuba cable releases that I use with my view camera lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/194767-REG/Hakuba_KA_LE_4_Metal_Cable_Release.html

Mine are 12", but they have other sizes. They are flexible and have a very smooth movement.

Steve
08-22-2010, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Check your PM Nesster.
08-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies --- looks like with something as simple as this, the cheap ones don't survive well, especially the plastic clad ones.

08-24-2010, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

I might have one you can have. I know I have several kicking around, and I probably have more than one of the black cloth covered ones. Short. like three inches. Want me to look?

woof!
08-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Blue beat you to it
08-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Its on its way. I ended up putting the legal sized envelops in one of the legal sized priority mailers. I was concerned about jamming up the automated mail system on the eastern seaboard.
08-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The envelope arrived, everything intact, I owe you one, Blue