Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Adaptall-2 ES Adapter

I need an Adaptall-2 M42 adapter. I believe there are three varieties. One is without the diaphragm coupling and pin. This is out. All but the most prosaic of the models I use have a "kicker" for the diaphragm control, and I'm simply not going to use an Adaptall lends on them...

Another type of adapter has the coupling and the pin so that it will stop down the lens when the pin is depressed. I think this will work with my Spotmaticsuch that I can do stop down metering. That is, throw on the meter, which will stop the lens down via the pin, adjust aperture as needed to match needle and then either shoot or turn of metering to go back to "bright field." This would give me the moral equivalent of auto mode with an Adaptall.

The third kind is a bit more elaborate and I do not fully understand it. It seems that there is a version that works with Open Aperture Metering. It seems to me that it would simply translate to the body the indexing of the lens, and that the rest would work as the M42 version. One way or the other, the pin has to be activated in order to stop down, and I would think that this would occur as a natural matter when a regular Spotmatic had it's meter turned on.

So my question is, if I want what amounts to an approximation of Auto mode on my SP Spotmatic, will the ES adapter work? because if it will, it might be nice to reserve the ability to do open aperture metering in future if I buy an ES/ESII/F.

Thanks for any clarification.

woof!

08-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never seen a non-auto M42 Adaptall mount, though it is quite possible that they exist. I have the standard M42 "Pentax" Adaptall-2 mount with the auto aperture pin. It works quite well, but does not have an A/M switch. The ES adapter is harder to come by, but probably is backward compatible to non-open-aperture bodies just as the SMC lenses are backward compatible.

Steve
08-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are these listed in the database? If not, I'd appreciate it if they were added, as they'd go along well with our new adaptall section (which Ole is continuing to enhance as we speak).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That there is the ES adaptall. It makes the lens behave like an SMC Takumar - i.e. open aperture metering with the F/ES/ES II. Like the SMC Taks, this adapter will behave like a normal automatic M42 lens on regular Spotmatics and the like.

Like Steve says, the regular M42 adaptall works like a Super Tak - there's also a Fuji variant that works better than some of the Fuji lenses (they get stuck on the K mount adapter) and I use it on my M42 cameras all the time.

Quite reasonably, as Tamron was in business to sell adapters as well as lenses, none of the M42 Adaptalls has an Auto/Manual switch. You want to use it on a K mount camera? Buy a K mount adapter

I don't think Tamron ever made a 'preset' type of a M42 adapter - i.e. one without the aperture pin. Third party (or is it 4th party in this case?) makers I think are selling some like this via ebay.

.... Can't let an opportunity to show the ES II go to waste... the ES Adaptall really does work

Last edited by Nesster; 08-24-2010 at 01:06 PM.
08-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are these listed in the database? If not, I'd appreciate it if they were added, as they'd go along well with our new adaptall section (which Ole is continuing to enhance as we speak).
Excellent! There are several Adaptall reviews in the old Tamron section, it will be nice to have them all in their own bin (so's not to have to wade through the autofocus stuff, and vice versa)

Do you plan something on the adapters themselves?
08-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
That there is the ES adaptall. It makes the lens behave like an SMC Takumar - i.e. open aperture metering with the F/ES/ES II. Like the SMC Taks, this adapter will behave like a normal automatic M42 lens on regular Spotmatics and the like.
Perfect. Thank you. It stands to reason that this is so, but I thought I'd put it up to you. I am grateful.

That seems to be the way to go. It preserves the most options for M42, ie: works with Open and non-Open Aperture metering bodies (which includes everything back through to and including the original 1958 "F" more than likely.

And yes, I really will use this on an M42 body. The lens itself comes with a PK adapter, so I can go that route as well...

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I don't think Tamron ever made a 'preset' type of a M42 adapter - i.e. one without the aperture pin. Third party (or is it 4th party in this case?) makers I think are selling some like this via ebay.
Yes, they are inexpensive, and would probably be ideal for my Asahi AP. But realistically, I will never go there. Most of my go-to bodies these days are closer to or are Spotmatics. One in particular has a split screen and I have found that quite useful given a certain amount of natural decline in eyesight.

Thanks again guys, this has been very helpful indeed.

woof!