Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
What is the benefit of shooting at a different than loaded iso?

Thanks for all the knowledge. I have some cheap Fuji 200 loaded up right now. Until I get a good scanner can I just drop off my color and b&w at Costco? I work there so it would be convenient.
Imagine shooting your K-7 at iso 100 regardless of the lighting conditions, this is what happens with your P3 unless you use the DX encoded film. The DX encoding was aimed squarely at the consumer market and as such the variety of emulsions on film and iso range available is quite limited. The real benefit of being able to switch the iso settings is that you can at will, push or pull the exposure and compensate for the push or pull during film development. Thus you can extend your shooting longer into the dusk, just as you would with the K-7 by shooting at higher iso rating.

Unfortunately, the P3 defaults to iso 100 if there is no DX encoding on the film cassette so there is no fix for the P3's limitation. If you want to have the iso switching capability you will have to buy another body other than any of the P series body like the Pentax Super Program (mine).

Thanks,

08-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
...The DX encoding was aimed squarely at the consumer market and as such the variety of emulsions on film and iso range available is quite limited...
This is not quite true. While the encoding was aimed at making things easier for the common consumer and for automated film processors, the practice of supporting the code is pretty much universal in the industry except for certain minor films (e.g. Rollei Retro 80s). The DX standard itself supports the range from ISO 25 - ISO 5000 in 1/3 stop increments.

While the P3/P30 is somewhat limited in regards to shooting at other than box speed, an experienced user can shoot in M mode and apply exposure compensation as needed.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-30-2010 at 12:49 PM.
08-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Both Ilford XP2 and Kodak BW400CN have DX encoded canisters and should work just fine in your camera.

Steve
Excellent news. I'll check with my local shop to see if they carry the Ilford.
08-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Hello Skullsroad -

Not sure if You know, but to use the "macro mode" on the F 35-70, you turn the zoom dial past 70 into where it says "macro". The focal length remains at 70, but you can focus much closer, and lose infinity focus. If you already knew this, sorry.

08-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #20

Original Poster
I already knew, thanks. I played with the lens for a few days, then my 17-50 Tamron came in and the 35-70 sat for a few weeks. After that I dedicated a few days to shoot with the 35-70 and was impressed with the sharpness. If only it wasn't so darn ugly!! Those Pentax F series are probably the ugliest lenses I've seen from any brand. If you've seen uglier, please, post a picture to change my mind!
08-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #21

Hi, Skullsroad,

I have owned a P3—and only a P3—for about 15 years now. I am an only occasional shutterbug, for many reasons having nothing to do with lethargy. I'm actually on the cusp of changing that up a bit. I love having a sturdy film camera with a great library of Pentax glass to choose from. It's nice to know that a modest budget helps provide a useful perspective; I have a modest, older camera and a modest, older bike, both of which I'll be using much more (and hopefully in tandem) in the coming months and beyond.

I still haven't shot enough film to be anywhere near competent, and I pine a little for a DSLR with quicker feedback. However, just as with an '80s steel Windsor 10-speed, there's nothing about the physics of the world that make the P3 any less capable than when it was the new and exciting model.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Daniel
08-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #22

Original Poster
Well I'm going a little crazy I think. The dangerous thought of "I'll just browse ebay and CL to see what's out there".

I bought a mint ME. It was cheap at $50 so I guess I'm not going too crazy.

The class I'm taking requires a body that can select iso, so my P3 wouldn't have been classroom acceptable anyway. However, I really rather shoot manual and as far as I can tell the ME is Auto only. So I'm off to buy yet another film body. I'm not complaining. I'm actually using the money I saved for a DA 55 1.4 or 35mm macro on all this film stuff, but I have no regrets.

I'm thinking either an LX or Super Program is next.
08-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on finding film and some nice cameras.

If you haven't visited the camera review section here, it's a good place to get all the information you need before you buy. Pentax Camera Reviews

The ME isn't manual, as you mentioned, so it won't work for your class. But if you like the way it feels you could try an ME Super, which has manual control. If you have the money, starting at the top of the food chain with the LX isn't a bad idea. I love my MX though if you're looking for something cheaper. The Super Program is a good camera too, I use mine quite a bit. But if you're wanting to experience all-manual film shooting, why not pick up a cheap K1000 or KX? Out of my film cameras my two favorite and most-used are the K1000 (for sentimental reasons) and my MX.

08-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #24

Original Poster
Yeah, I didn't realize how much the LX costs. Yowza. I'll be looking into Super Program, Mx and K1000 bodies tomorrow. Figure I better go to the store and handle these before buying yet another body.

The K1000 is the last one on my list due to how common it is. Two people in my class already have it and I know more will choose to due to it being he first one on my teacher's list. I know it's a vain and trivial reason but I dislike showing up with the same kit as everyone else. It's like Pentax is the Canikon of black and white film class. One girl even showed up with a Spotmatic in a large leather case!
08-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good point, that's why we use Pentax, because no one else does, right?

I guess if you have to get a K1000 you could find an SE with brown leather instead of black. That would be different from the other students.
08-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Yeah, I didn't realize how much the LX costs. Yowza. I'll be looking into Super Program, Mx and K1000 bodies tomorrow. Figure I better go to the store and handle these before buying yet another body.

The K1000 is the last one on my list due to how common it is. Two people in my class already have it and I know more will choose to due to it being he first one on my teacher's list. I know it's a vain and trivial reason but I dislike showing up with the same kit as everyone else. It's like Pentax is the Canikon of black and white film class. One girl even showed up with a Spotmatic in a large leather case!
To upstage the K1000, get yourself a K2, even better, a black K2.
08-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Some other models to consider:
  • KM (much cheaper than a KX and more capable than a K1000)
  • Ricoh XR-2/XR-2s
  • Ricoh XR7 (my fave)
  • Any of a number of other K-mount cameras with metered manual as an option

Steve
08-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #28

Original Poster
Lots of helpful info here thanks everyone. So I can mount my Pentax glass on a Ricoh? I found a Ricoh XR7 with a 50 2.0, 80-200 4.5, flash, books and a bunch of filters for $140.

@ builttospill - Can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Essentially yes that is one of the major reasons why I chose to shoot Pentax. The brown leather would be more up my alley considering I love the color.
08-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Lots of helpful info here thanks everyone. So I can mount my Pentax glass on a Ricoh? I found a Ricoh XR7 with a 50 2.0, 80-200 4.5, flash, books and a bunch of filters for $140.

@ builttospill - Can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Essentially yes that is one of the major reasons why I chose to shoot Pentax. The brown leather would be more up my alley considering I love the color.
Yes, you can shoot your Pentax glass on a Ricoh. My first XR7 came new with a Pentax-M 50/1.7. The shop was out of Rikenons and substituted the Pentax. The only Pentax lenses that will not work on K-mount Ricoh SLRs are those without aperture rings. One of my favorite walk-around setups is my current XR7 matched with the Pentax-FA 35/2.

As for the deal you found on an XR7 kit. The camera with XR Rikenon 50/2 is worth about $25-$50 at auction and about $60-$75 if in a used camera store. The flash adds about $20 in value (max). The value of the zoom will vary depending on brand with the low end being about $15-$20 at auction and more in a shop. $110-$120 USD as a kit in a store with new seals and 60 day warranty sounds about right.

Steve
08-31-2010, 01:39 AM   #30

Original Poster
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I ended up passing on it. I may head into Keeble & Shuchat (local store) and browse the used dept. However...and this is very sad...I bought yet another camera. I told myself no more internet purchases but I couldn't pass on this. Found a Zenit 122 with a Helios 44K-4. So I'm super excited. It's coming from Latvia and may take up to a month to get here. We'll see how this turns out.....

Oh yeah and since I'm posting so much, hello everyone, my name is Chris. The avatar is me, taken by my wonderful girlfriend with her 40D and 85 1.8.

Last edited by Skullsroad; 08-31-2010 at 03:25 AM.