Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for some advice...

Hi, there's a Pentax ES going for $150 close by on craigslist along with a Takumar F1.4, 50 mm, unknown brand f 3.8, 85-205 mm telephoto lens with macro focusing, another unknown brand f 2.8 28mm wide angle lens (the seller did post photos, but they're hard to make out, I'd have to ask about the two unknown lenses), vivitar flash, manual, case, 2x teleconverter, various filters (UV/skylight, red, mirage, split, star, polarizing), and a cable release. I've got just enough birthday money left to buy it, but money's not the only concern here...I'm taking a film photo class at school next year and it is required that we have a manual film SLR, I was going to use my K1000 (with various lens and accessories), but I was wondering, would the ES be better? Also, is it worth getting the original M42 screwmount-K mount converter from Pentax so I can use the 5 K lenses and 3 M42s interchangeably between my K1000, K-x, and the ES? (also, if anyone knows, but how well do the M42s do with the digital SLRs such as the K-x?)

Thanks.

Attached Images

08-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Depending on the rules used to define "manual" the ES may not qualify as it is capable of shooting in aperture priority mode.

Check out the M42 Crew and the Takumar Club in the lens forum. There are some restrictions when shooting M42 lenses on digital bodies (M or AV mode and you have to learn how to meter them) but it is possible to get excellent results.

I have 3 of the original Pentax M42 adapters with no major complaints. 2 have had the locking tabs removed to make swapping between K and adapted lenses faster .

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/50994-m42-crew.html

Last edited by Steinback; 08-31-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added links
08-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #3

You have to take into account that the camera might need a CLA (clean, lubrication and/or adjustment) since the camera might not work properly. Although the camera looks nice keep in mind that it might still need the CLA. As a plus, it's black and looks great that way.

The m42 Taks (I can't say about other m42 lenses, but know that some other brands are exceptional as well) are really beautiful glass to use with your k-x.

Check the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club-356.html for examples of the taks at work. (Lens Buying Addiction warning)
08-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Forum Member

Hi Julie.... I`ve been messing around with a couple older screw mounts lately(gotta love old glass).... yes,the K-mount converter is worth trying on the DSLR models.I`m using them on my K10 and K20... the 55mm 1.8 Super-Takumar is a fantastic lens.!!! great color & very crisp @f5.6 or so.
Not sure about the ES but I have used the K1000 & it`s a reliable camera for your class requirements.I would likely save my money & concentrate on the gear you have now.... add a DSLR to your K1000 & lens.The class you`ll take will probably help get you a better idea of your photo needs.
Best of luck with your choices... ponyt27

09-01-2010, 03:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe the ES - like the ES II - has limited true manual capabilities. They are mainly aperture priority automatics. I think these meter only in auto mode. Your K1000 will be more useful for your class.

If you had the money to spare, go for it, that's a nice looking camera, and some of the accessories look kind of cool. But that zoom is likely not going to be a great lens, the 28 may or may not be - though both will take photographs! I'd skip this deal, unless I really wanted that good looking ES, and I'd try to talk the seller down a bit, maybe they'd take $100? $120?

Screw mount works well on K mount cameras, but not the other way around - K doesn't go with screw mount bodies.
09-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #6

Please Don't Use A Generic Title For Your Post

It's silly.

Not trying to be cheeky, but for me it was. Now I've forgot the questions you were asking.

Rod.
09-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #7

Apologies for a Cross Posting Mistake

Apologies Julie,

Had two windows open. Posted in the wrong one.

Cheers.

Rod.