Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
LX blurry viewfinder at the extremes - please help

Hi,

Recently I acquired a very nice LX body. It is in immaculate cosmetic shape. It needed the mirror position calibration though as the viewfinder image focus would not reflect the lens focus distance. So I've had it serviced for mirror re-positioning. It came back with the note that the mirror have been repositioned and the pentaprism reseated (the latter free of charge as it was not requested).

The camera seems to be able to focus properly (or at least distances on the lens distance scale seem to match the real in-focus object distances in the viewfinder).

After a couple of shots I have noticed however that the image in the viewfinder is only sharp in the centre, and as you look through the matte portion of the viewfinder (it is the standard split image with microprism and matte around) the image is gradually more blurry towards the sides.

I tried a couple of fast prime lenses and the strange effect is still there. I also tried looking thru viewfinder of other cameras I have (ZX-5N, K20D) and I don't see the effect described above. I don't recall seeing anything like that with any of my former cameras with the split image matte screen (ME, MX, Spotmatic, K1000).

I've contacted the service person, but he could not identify the problem without looking at the camera again. I live in Canada and the service was done in US, so I am reluctant to send the camera back right away (shipping charges and potential customs difficulties). At the least I want to run a roll of film first. In the meantime any thoughts will be appreciated. And no, this is not the diopter issue , the image in the center is tack sharp.

Slawek

09-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you checked whether your view screen is warped? Otherwise if you take it out will it lie flat on a plane surface (like a mirror)? I can't imagine what would do this, but it may give you the issues that you see.
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will try it (removing the focusing screen) later tonight when I get home.

In the meantime I have noticed that when looking at the scene thru the camera without the viewfinder assembly mounted (pentaprism housing) - the image is sharp across the frame (when the lens is focussed properly).
09-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #4

If the image is sharp without the pentaprism housing but you have focus issues with it. I imagine that your problem is either with the pentaprism itself or the viewfinder.

09-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Here is another clue: there is no blur on matte directly above and below the center - another-words it is visible only on the sides, the further from the center the more blur there is.

Simian Summit: I took the view screen out to check for warp. When I lay it an the flat surface it rests on the split image element which sticks out over the rest of the screen. I tried touching the straight edge away from the split on both sides and there is no warp.
09-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I suspect the mirror isn't sitting at the right angle. You can adjust the mirror angle by adjusting the two screws on the left when you lift the mirror. But make sure what you are doing.
09-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Frank: Right now the camera is loaded with a 36 film so I can't lift the mirror without waisting some frames.

Those screws adjust which angle - front/back or sideways. If the mirror is at fault it is likely that it is the sideways angle that needs to be adjusted. Is one of the screws responsible for sideways angle?

Also I am reluctant to mess with those screws as this likely would re-calibrate freshly calibration done by a pro.
09-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slawek Quote
...Also I am reluctant to mess with those screws as this likely would re-calibrate freshly calibration done by a pro.
You should send it back to your "pro". He was the last one working with the camera and its current state is likely the result of his work.

Steve

09-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slawek Quote
Frank: Right now the camera is loaded with a 36 film so I can't lift the mirror without waisting some frames.

Those screws adjust which angle - front/back or sideways. If the mirror is at fault it is likely that it is the sideways angle that needs to be adjusted. Is one of the screws responsible for sideways angle?

Also I am reluctant to mess with those screws as this likely would re-calibrate freshly calibration done by a pro.

No, you won't waste any frame even you lift the mirror 'cause the shutter curtain should stay closed. But as Steve said, it's better to send it back to the one who knows how to do calibration/adjustment if you don't know what you are doing.

I've done focusing adjustment on my LXs and Super Program, it's easier than we thought.
09-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So back to the pro it goes.

Thanks everybody for your advice. I will post the outcome of the exercise.
09-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Also, by the way, it's possible to unload film and reload it later, only wasting a frame or two to avoid overlap. I do it all the time.

All you have to do, there, is rewind the film as though you'd shot it, but try and stop with the leader out. (You'll feel it when the film disengages from the sprockets, and usually hear it if you have your ear to the camera or it's quiet. Then just mark the leader with the number of exposed frames, (Clearly, so you won't mix it up with fresh film!)

When it's time to finish the roll, all you need to do is reload it and make blank exposures, (Cap on, fast shutter speed, small aperture, for extra redundancy) The same number as you marked on the can, adding an extra blank exposure or two to the number you wrote there, (One's sufficient once you are loading consistently enough. I suggest two for beginners in general,) and off you go.

In case of accidentally winding the film all the way back in, or if you have a camera that auto rewinds and doesn't have a leader-out option, (Like your ZX-5) it's good to have a leader retriever/extractor to fish the leader back out of the canister.
09-20-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The camera is back!

The camera is back (literally and from the pro). It turned out that the focusing screen inside was from another, non-LX camera. New focusing screen has been installed (at minimal charge) and the camera works like new . It has also been rechecked for other issues (non found ).
I reloaded the film and am about half way thru the roll right now. Will post the follow-up as soon as the prints are there.
09-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Happy end

I've just received the first batch of prints. The camera worked nicely. Focus is right on (I shoot the 45deg checking chart). The OOF blur is shocking on FF with the lens wide open, but my skills at DOF estimate suck .