Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How Difficult is it to Remove K1000 Top Plate?

I just bought a brown K1000 on eBay and there is a dent on the top plate prism housing. How difficult is it to replace the top plate with another? Are there any springs or levers I should watch out for as I lift the plate off (I hate losing small springs). Any other tips? Thanks.

09-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not an awful job, but a first-timer is almost certain to have trouble getting the shutter speed dial back in place correctly so the ISO dial will work. Even though I've done it successfully several times, that step often makes me mutter and curse under my breath.

The service manual is available online. There are probably one or more howtos on the web somewhere - I'll post a link if I find one.

edit: "kamera kevin's blog"

Last edited by Sluggo; 09-01-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: add link
09-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the link and information. I liked this from Kevin's blog post:
QuoteQuote:
IMHO zoom lenses are for people who are lazy photographers who take same looking images over and over again from their chair.
I think I'm about ready to begin now. The top plate on the right should make a good replacement for the brown K1000 on the left: