Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #1

ZX-5N flash repair

The built-in flash on my ZX-5N does not pop open when I push the release button and does not stay up on it's own when fully opened, Feels like there's a broken spring in the pop-up mechanism. The flash is fully functional and this does not affect camera functions in any way.

I am debating whether to spend money on the repair, I have not asked for estimates from my local shops, but I suspect that it's going to be costly dues to need to remove the top plate of the camera. If this is the case then I'd rather bite the bullet and spend it on K-7 since I've been shooting digital almost exclusively for a while now.

If anyone had similar issues I'd love to hear about your repair experience. I am planning to call some repair shops in my area (Norther burbs of Chicago) so I could use a baseline to judge by.

Thanks!

09-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
First things first...

Welcome! Nice to see you here.

You came to the right place. See this thread. it has helped a lot of people. Should at a minimum help you assess the issue.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/63918-mz-5-bui...sh-repair.html

woof!
09-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you aren't comfortable with doing the work yourself you may be better off buying a TTL hotshoe flash instead of paying somebody to do the repair work.

The AF 280T shows up occasionally in the under $50 range and the simpler Pentax TTL flashes often sell for pocket change because they only work in manual mode on the current P-TTL digital bodies. Many older 3rd party flashes, either manual or TTL, are also cheap on the used market.

PENTAX AF 280T - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags
09-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcome and for the pics, I figured that I wasn't the only one having this issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
First things first...

You came to the right place. See this thread. it has helped a lot of people. Should at a minimum help you assess the issue.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/63918-mz-5-bui...sh-repair.html

woof!

09-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
First things first...

woof!
Woof, thanks for the link. I assume it will be the same for all ZX/MZ bodies.
09-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ah, cool. My MZ-5 has the same issue: I haven't actually fussed with it, yet, since I really prefer not to resort to flash with b&W film, and can just make a little cardboard spring on the fly. The DIY Fuji-film can flash diffuser can also hold this open, with a little help, incidentally.

May one day fix it properly, though.
09-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

More MZ/ZX-series flash repair info:
MZ cameras Photo Gallery by Alan Chan at pbase.com

09-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had Eric fix mine as part of a CLA. I think it was $10 extra.
09-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #9

Hi everyone.

I just picked up a ZX-5 at a yard sale for $5 (woot!), and it has the same flash issue. the repairs do not look bad at all, other than the multitude of screws one has to take off and put back. (Says the girl who once built her own coffee roaster from a popcorn popper and turbo oven top. A plastic piece needed to be replaced on that set up, too!) I have one question, though. While the pics in both sets of repair photos are great, neither one specifies where one gets the metal replacement piece, or what it is. I assume something picked up from a hardware store, rather than an actual Pentax certified piece, but no one has said. Actually, in the photos by Alan Chan, it looks like he may have machined a new piece from metal, or had someone do it. And I'm afraid that is beyond my skill set.

So, anyone else who's done this repair, what did you use to replace the broken plastic piece?

ETA: Nevermind. I had the guy hold it for me until this morning, as yesterday evening I didn't have any cash on me, and my m-in-law and I had stopped on a whim. I just went to pick it up, and his wife accidentally stuck it in the box of Good Will donations, and some lucky soul at the donations center took the camera (and 20-70mm lens) for free.

Last edited by suliabryon; 09-12-2010 at 10:31 AM.
09-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suliabryon Quote
Hi everyone.

I just picked up a ZX-5 at a yard sale for $5 (woot!), and it has the same flash issue. the repairs do not look bad at all, other than the multitude of screws one has to take off and put back. (Says the girl who once built her own coffee roaster from a popcorn popper and turbo oven top. A plastic piece needed to be replaced on that set up, too!) I have one question, though. While the pics in both sets of repair photos are great, neither one specifies where one gets the metal replacement piece, or what it is. I assume something picked up from a hardware store, rather than an actual Pentax certified piece, but no one has said. Actually, in the photos by Alan Chan, it looks like he may have machined a new piece from metal, or had someone do it. And I'm afraid that is beyond my skill set.

So, anyone else who's done this repair, what did you use to replace the broken plastic piece?

ETA: Nevermind. I had the guy hold it for me until this morning, as yesterday evening I didn't have any cash on me, and my m-in-law and I had stopped on a whim. I just went to pick it up, and his wife accidentally stuck it in the box of Good Will donations, and some lucky soul at the donations center took the camera (and 20-70mm lens) for free.

Aww, and there's a gal after my own heart, too. Couldn't do harm to drop in your local Goodwill in the next few months, anyway: they may charge a bit more, but it's for a reasonably-good cause.

For my own self, and any reference, I'm probably going to try the 'Just stick some bendy plastic in there' solution unless I get motivated to do custom paint, in which case I might pull the top plate, anyway. It doesn't take a lot of force to hold it open: (You can really just roll or bend a matchbook cover, or, (looking around desk) A price tag from some clothing, for instance, surely a pigeon-feather, and Bob's your uncle.

Anyway, these are pretty nice, and still pretty cheap... The N is version is for 'nicer' but these aren't at all bad for the going price. Apart from built-in winders and thus no way to feel if the film's feeding correctly, (Not sure I'll *ever* get used to that. Gives me the willies, but what can you do.... I just have trouble with that 'Is this loaded?' feeling. ) ...nice way to get the AF and some electronics.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-13-2010 at 10:35 AM.