Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This worked in a KX, so it may work in the Spottie
Move the Dial for speeds a few times; also move the dial of ISOs a few times back and forth
Also rub the battery contacts with a pencil eraser just to be sure the lightmeter is getting enough power
Other than that the CLA is weel worth every penny

09-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
titrisol:

Thanks. I have rotated all of the wheels a number of times. And I had a brand new battery (have tested with two different ones). I honestly feel that the CLA would be worth it if it were an F or an ES II... but I would rather have a known working example of one of those than to have a refurbished SP II I think. I dunno - I'm still thinking about it.
09-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You do have another option:
4. Use the SP II meterless, with a hand held meter
09-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nesster:

True, but using an external meter would sometimes be very inconvenient... especially with distant subjects/longer lenses.

09-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

... otherwise, there's an adjustment pot that you may be able to access (and clean!) that may be causing some of your problem, e.g. this post
The Classic Camera Repair Forum: Pentax SP II meter adjustment
09-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spores Quote
So I am to assume that:
1. The metering system and the lens are talking to each other, but the meter is grossly miscalculating.
2. Sending this camera for a CLA and meter fix will cost more than $70
3. Buying a known working spotmatic F or ES II would only run about $100

Does that all sound correct to you guys?
This does sound correct. I understand why you would want to go with a working open aperture version over doing the CLA on a body that is not a perfect match for you. I think the others just feel it a shame that such a venerable and near-good camera is not rehabilitiated to a place where it will last another 30 years. I must agree

I am starting a retirement ranch for old gear that no-one wants. I'm not kidding. A place to assess, photograph and list equipment that others might want and will take the time to rehabilitate.

I just added an OLD ES to the collection and have a number of Spotmatics as well. I'll be posting these soon in an "adopt a body" thread. If you would like to do something responsible and pass this unwanted SPII along to the retirement ranch, I am sure that I can find a good home for it. I'll pay postage.

woof
09-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
This does sound correct. I understand why you would want to go with a working open aperture version over doing the CLA on a body that is not a perfect match for you. I think the others just feel it a shame that such a venerable and near-good camera is not rehabilitiated to a place where it will last another 30 years. I must agree

I am starting a retirement ranch for old gear that no-one wants. I'm not kidding. A place to assess, photograph and list equipment that others might want and will take the time to rehabilitate.

I just added an OLD ES to the collection and have a number of Spotmatics as well. I'll be posting these soon in an "adopt a body" thread. If you would like to do something responsible and pass this unwanted SPII along to the retirement ranch, I am sure that I can find a good home for it. I'll pay postage.

woof

This sounds like a really cool idea. I love the concept, I've seen so many old broken cameras around that are probably just going to get pitched. I always feel like I should salvage them, but my wallet rarely agrees. If there's anything I can do to help the "retirement ranch" along, let me know.