Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Unsure of value for my Pentax

Hello, I need advice. I (regrettably) parted with an old SLR Pentax (I think a K2 model - 1980s?) in a swap with an old friend. I didn't sell the camera as it was a direct swap. A while later I approached the friend asking to buy the camera back, as it had since acquired more sentimental value. The friend told me he had sold it to someone for $350 (Australian). He then managed to buy it back for me from this person, but hastily, and ended up paying apparently $550 (Australian). He now wants me to pay $550 to get the camera back. I believe from the research I have done on the internet, that despite the camera is old, it would not reach that value. This to me seems like an excessive price. I have seen similar models going on Ebay for anywhere between 50-350. Could anyone confirm for me that indeed this price is rather excessive. I feel I should not be paying this much to get my camera back. Thank you and any advice is much appreciated.

09-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
<$100 is the current going price- see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-manual-focus-film-slr-camera-revie...pentax-k2.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Gandalf,
Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Used camera value can be highly variable and is dependent on the buyer, the seller, the camera, condition, and the intended use. For vintage gear, this is twice as true. In regards to your K2, while it is a nice camera made in the mid-1970s, prices are generally under $200 USD. An exception might be a K2 DMD (motor drive capable) with a Pentax-K 50/1.2 lens attached. In that case, the lens alone might fetch upwards of $400 USD. The K2 DMD body alone may also be priced at $400 USD or more. All, of course, dependent on condition.

If the camera is a plain K2 and if the lens is a 50/1.4 or 55/1.8, you might do best to find a new friend.

Steve