Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The OP said ISO3200 film. No pushing required. Plus, is all that extra stuff intended for me - a person who shoots with a camera that has no meter and consequently uses a one-degree spot meter?
Actually the OP said "but not so good now with 3200 film or even pushing 400 film to 3200"

I was pushing 400 film. In the end, I shot it at 1600. These were generally snap shots rather than composed shots. I wasn't going to have the time to focus, meter then make adjustment to either aperture or shutter speed.

My big worry now is that the film may be fogged. It was in my hand luggage going through the airport today. The security guy had my bag in the x-ray machine for a long old time. He seemed to have spotted something and called over another security guy before letting it through. My French isn't that great so I couldn't tell him about the film in the bag, not that it would have made much difference.... airport security insist that their x-ray machines don't hurt film. That may be true of most films but not high ISO stuff.

I'll find out tomorrow when I start developing it all.

09-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Actually the OP said "but not so good now with 3200 film or even pushing 400 film to 3200"

I was pushing 400 film. In the end, I shot it at 1600. These were generally snap shots rather than composed shots. I wasn't going to have the time to focus, meter then make adjustment to either aperture or shutter speed.

My big worry now is that the film may be fogged. It was in my hand luggage going through the airport today. The security guy had my bag in the x-ray machine for a long old time. He seemed to have spotted something and called over another security guy before letting it through. My French isn't that great so I couldn't tell him about the film in the bag, not that it would have made much difference.... airport security insist that their x-ray machines don't hurt film. That may be true of most films but not high ISO stuff.

I'll find out tomorrow when I start developing it all.
If you're doing it yourself, just sally on, maybe go just a shade lean on the time. Best to put your film in a clear bag for hand inspection: people are less and less expecting this to be something people routinely-travel with, though: trying to explain that you've pushed your film to TSA operators is about three times harder than teaching teenagers the concept, the latter of which I've done, so.

Travel is one place I use as slow a film as I can get away with. Or, btw. If the label says an ISO over 800, they have to check by hand.
09-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
If you're doing it yourself, just sally on, maybe go just a shade lean on the time. Best to put your film in a clear bag for hand inspection: people are less and less expecting this to be something people routinely-travel with, though: trying to explain that you've pushed your film to TSA operators is about three times harder than teaching teenagers the concept, the latter of which I've done, so.

Travel is one place I use as slow a film as I can get away with. Or, btw. If the label says an ISO over 800, they have to check by hand.
Unfortunately airport security can do pretty much as they like. You can write and complain about it after the event but at the time, if you start asserting "your rights", you end up missing your flight. I've tried the diplomatic approach in the past and asked for a "hand check" of the film but the security guys have been instructed that film is fine through the cabin luggage scanners so that's that.

The other thing is that its not just ISO 800 and over. I used to believe that it was the ISO of the emulsion that made it sensitive to x-ray fogging but I was told on these forums that film that has been pushed to over 800 will be subceptible to damage regardless of the native emulsion ISO. So can you imagine trying to explain to the security guy that your roll of Tri-x 400 is actually 3200 ISO?