Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spotmatic F and Tamron ES adaptall?

I recently acquired a Tamron 28//2.5 adaptall and a Tamron ES adapter.
When I mount the lens on my Spotmatic F it doesn't seem to work properly. The aperture ring turns nicely in the f/2.5-f/32 but is much harder to turn in the other direction. Could this be from the adapter being improperly mounted to the lens, (I think I got it right but who knows) or is it a problem with the adapter?
Any help is much appreciated,

09-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Do you have the larger tab in the large slot and the smaller tab in the smaller slot? Perhaps take it off and put it back on and try again. Post some pics of the lens with the adapter in place.
09-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Do you have the larger tab in the large slot and the smaller tab in the smaller slot? Perhaps take it off and put it back on and try again. Post some pics of the lens with the adapter in place.
This adapter seems to have only one tab. Is that abnormal? I took it off and put it back on and it seem to be on properly. When the lens is off the camera, turning the aperure ring either way seems normal and the tab for open aperture metering at the back kof the lens move when the aperture ring is turned. It seem like there is something wrong only when the lens is mounted. Is there a special technic for mounting lenses on a Spotmatic F? If I mount the SMC 50/1.4 everything is fine.

Here are a coupe quick shots I took,

09-05-2010, 03:55 AM   #4

Make sure the lens is set at full aperture when you mount it to the adapter and the green dots are aligned, but yes, I have noticed that the ES adapter in use with my Spotmatic F is harder to turn when going to the larger aperture (e.g. F22->3.5). Otherwise it works and I get good exposures with my Adaptall-2 lenses.

09-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
This adapter seems to have only one tab. Is that abnormal? I took it off and put it back on and it seem to be on properly. When the lens is off the camera, turning the aperure ring either way seems normal and the tab for open aperture metering at the back kof the lens move when the aperture ring is turned. It seem like there is something wrong only when the lens is mounted. Is there a special technic for mounting lenses on a Spotmatic F? If I mount the SMC 50/1.4 everything is fine.

Here are a coupe quick shots I took,

You are correct, it only has the small tab which goes in the smaller slot on the lens. Follow Tom and Chris's suggestions with the alignment dots and aperture. Also, do you have another lens? If there is a problem, I'm more inclined to believe it is with the lens.
09-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Note that with the ES adaptall, there is an outer race that moves the aperture sensor prong, while with a SMC Takumar, this is a more direct (I presume) internal movement. So any difference in leverage might be felt more with the adaptall. Check that the gears on the adapter are free to move in both directions. If that's not the issue, then possibly the camera body's aperture sensing mechanism needs some cleaning (I have this problem with my KX, it really is due to be sent to Eric...)
09-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I played around with the mount some more and I'm fairly certain it is mounted correctly on the lens. I think Nesster is correct about the aperture sensing mechanism. I believe the mechanism is spring loaded and just the pressure from that is causing the problem. I think the SMC Tak mounts are better designed to work with that pressure.
Everything works, the camera meters correctly at each f-stop, and the lens stops down correctly.
Maybe a future CLA will help.

Thanks again for all the input,