Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Pentaxian

LX metering without prism

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked before.

I've just bought a 'new' LX, and I had a couple of questions about shooting without the prism attached.

- Will the body still be fully light-sealed?
- Will the metering still be accurate?

On another note, does anyone have any experience with the LX shutter-lock failing? Ie. with the ring set to 'L', the shutter can still be depressed and will fire. Is this fixable?

Cheers, Nick

09-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know about firing entirely without a viewfinder at all, but I do know that Pentax produced at least two waist-level viewfinders for the LX. One was a magnifier (FE-1) and the other was basically a hood that let you look at the ground glass (FF-1). Neither had a prism. There was also an action eyepiece for the FC-1 that let you choose eye or waist level finding. My friend's LX has the FC-1 and it's like looking into a tiny rear-projection TV.

Pentax LX - Full Info on Its Interchangeable Viewfinders

I imagine the only problem with shooting an LX without a viewfinder of any kind is that you will have a lot of light coming in through the top and screwing up your meter reading. As long as you shade the viewfinder while you're metering it should be okay. Why not stick a cheap roll of drugstore 35mm in it and try it under various conditions, no prism to see?

As for the shutter button lock, Eric Hendrickson (Home) or Pentax themselves can probably provide you with an estimate.
09-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think the previous post is accurate. The LX takes a reading off the film plane at the time of exposure, so there is no stray light in the mirror box while the mirror is in the up position. Ergo: no metering problems?
09-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I don't think the previous post is accurate. The LX takes a reading off the film plane at the time of exposure, so there is no stray light in the mirror box while the mirror is in the up position. Ergo: no metering problems?
That's what I was thinking in terms of metering. Any thoughts on potential light leaks?

09-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It certainly meters longer exposures off the film, but will it meter short exposures off the shutter after flipping the mirror? (If not, light entering through the focusing screen could still screw up the metering for faster speeds, since they can't be changed once the second curtain is in motion (which is before the first curtain stops). But it'll be less problematic than a camera that meters off the screen either way.)
09-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

OK I'll be the one to ask

Why would you want to work without a prism (substitute the word viewfinder here I guess)?

The closest to this lack of viewfinder, would be the pop up waist level finder.
09-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
OK I'll be the one to ask

Why would you want to work without a prism (substitute the word viewfinder here I guess)?
No reason at all, just because I can :-) (maybe...)