Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #1

This Pentax Spotmatic F

Hey guys. Sorry to make this my first thread, but you guys seem knowledgeable and I've got a question for ya.

Here's my question: My grandfather passed away last year, and when he was younger he enjoyed photography. My grieving grandmother threw away most of his camera equipment and lenses, but I managed to snatch this: It's a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F. I took it to a photographer friend of mine, since I know nothing of photography, and he examined it. He said over the years, the battery hasn't leaked or anything, the metering and exposure and all that still work perfectly and that it has the "1.4" lens. Not sure what that means, but here are some pictures. It has been in storage for at least 5 years, and looks brand new. It looks brand new partially due to the Pentax full-body leather case, and the fact that my grandfather was VERY meticulous with his possessions.

Can anyone give me an estimate on it's value?

Pics:

09-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice camera, you can find the manual here: the passwd is Pentax

Run a roll of film in it and show the pictures taken, they do not have to be brilliant.

To have a clue of its value check the eBay auctions (finished) and KEH
09-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
Uh... I don't even know what kind of film it takes. I'm told 35MM but where can I get that? I honestly know NOTHING about film cameras, or cameras in general... especially know nothing about adjusting the meters and exposure and aperture, whatever those things are lol.

Well, one just like this on ebay is for sale with a buy it now of $275. Is that a reasonable price?
09-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tynmdys Quote
Uh... I don't even know what kind of film it takes. I'm told 35MM but where can I get that? I honestly know NOTHING about film cameras, or cameras in general... especially know nothing about adjusting the meters and exposure and aperture, whatever those things are lol.

Well, one just like this on ebay is for sale with a buy it now of $275. Is that a reasonable price?
ebay isn’t exactly the best price comparison IMO. you would be better in selling it to test that it actually works. (shutter and mirror work continuously, no light leaks or scratching of the film during advancing, etc) its quite simple really if you read the manual at the link provided by titrisol. yes it takes 35mm (135) film and you can generally find cheap colour kodak or fuji film in most places like a supermarket, or a drugstore, etc. doesn’t really matter if its 200, 400 or even 800 ISO. you can also get a battery if need be generally from the same places. like already said, the pictures don’t have to be brilliant, just to show that it actually works as it should. or doesn’t, if thats the unfortunate case. a quick lookover will only tell so much. I strongly advise running a roll of film through to test it. heck, you never know, if you do you just might decide you like it and want to keep it, to get into photography! the F is a great starter camera.

09-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Nice camera, you can find the manual here: the passwd is Pentax

Run a roll of film in it and show the pictures taken, they do not have to be brilliant.

To have a clue of its value check the eBay auctions (finished) and KEH
Butkus also has some nice scans of not only Pentax gear manuals, but a lot of other as well.

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F instruction manual, user manual, free PDF manual, camera manual
09-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter

If it works, you are not going to get that much. If it were the black version, you may get $200. In fact, KEH has a black one listed on sale at the moment for $199 in EX condition marked down from $215. They have a 60 day warranty on gear unless it is dead and sold as-is.
09-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Alright, looks like I'll have to read that manual and snap a few shots.

The one on KEH doesn't have the Pentax 1:1.4/50 lens though.
09-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KEH would give you $228 for the camera & lens, assuming both were rated EX+.

09-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Alright, looks like I'll have to read that manual and snap a few shots.

The one on KEH doesn't have the Pentax 1:1.4/50 lens though.
They have a S-M-C 50/1.4 (EX) listed separately for $139.
09-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
KEH would give you $228 for the camera & lens, assuming both were rated EX+.
Looking at the $199 price they currently have on the black Spot F in EX, I don't know. On top of that, its the Asahi version rather than Honeywell. It has been my limited experience that their automated system over estimates what they will by gear for and their written estimate underestimates it. You never really know until they get the gear and appraise it.
09-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I paid $65 USD for the same camera, lens and case just recently as a data point. The body is in good shape too.
09-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If you're at all interested in trying to shoot film, a clean Spotmatic F would be a great camera to use. The Spotmatic F is about the pinnacle of Pentax's thread-mount cameras.
09-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Remember also that the KEH SALES price reflects not only the stringent standards and reputation, the warranty they offer, and the margin they need to stay in business and make a living. I don't know what they would PAY for something they would sell for $100, say, but I'm sure there are people here who have sold their equipment and then seen what KEH resold it for.

For a non KEH purchase, e.g. ebay, I'd be inclined to tuco's valuation as a pretty good price - a well presented auction at a good time might bring in more, and a less well presented one during a lull in demand might bring less. And the camera + lens sold separately would bring the seller more.
09-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'd add that I would have been willing to pay a little more for your camera assuming your grandfather was the original owner and everything is in working condition such as the light meter is still calibrated and what-not.
09-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Looking at the $199 price they currently have on the black Spot F in EX, I don't know. On top of that, its the Asahi version rather than Honeywell. It has been my limited experience that their automated system over estimates what they will by gear for and their written estimate underestimates it. You never really know until they get the gear and appraise it.
That's what the online estimator says. They pay $129 for a Honeywell Spot F in EX+ condition and $99 for a SMC Tak 1.4 in EX+ condition. Looking at the picture from the OP it looks EX+ to me.