Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2007, 03:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally got my MZ-S system together

...... the final touches arrived today

So now I have the Pentax MZ-S body. To round it off, the BG-10 grip and an SMC-A 50/1.4 arrived in this mornings post.

I had to purchase the Body and Grip from the US as I could not source them here in the UK. I guess the original cost was too prohibitive for many shooters here. After some searching a body turned up in Portland, OR and a grip in TX

This little lot was quite expensive and I could have gotten another dSLR body ith what I've paid. Anyway, the total cost was (body) $529 + $120 customs, (grip) $120 + $40 customs (lens) $210. $1019 in total or just over 500 UK Pounds.

I must say though that it's a wonderful kit and in the short time i've had the body I've come to appreciate the sheer quality of it. I won't be leaving 35mm kit anytime soon.

Apologies for the poor images. Just a couple of snapshots for now.

Last edited by Trawlerman; 09-04-2007 at 05:14 AM.
09-04-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A fine camera you have got there!

I've just bought the FG battery grip for my MZ-5 from a forum member and I am contemplating about getting a motor drive for my ME Super to make them complete!

cheers
Kenny
09-04-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Very nice indeed...

I know what you mean about it being difficult (impossible?) to find an MZ-S anywhere in the UK. Like the PZ-1 (and for that matter all the best AF lenses), they rarely appear and when they do the prices are kept fairly high. Looks like it's worth every penny though... sure you could have got a digital body but it probably wouldn't last as long and would drop in value much quicker.

So congrats and enjoy!
09-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Today I got back some landscape photos taken with my MZ-S+grip on Velvia slide film (all taken using proper filters, tripod & MLU).

I just took a quick look at them and the results are incredible. Digital may be nice but a well taken film image using proper technique yields absolutely stunning results.

I think you paid a reasonable price for this excellent camera (if you exclude the taxes, since that's uncontrollable). It was selling new at B&H for over $900 a couple years ago.

Here's a suggestion: get the little cheap infrared remote control that goes with the Optio digicams - it works with the sensor on the MZ-S' grip so you can use it as a remote shutter release instead of a cable switch. It just can't do bulb mode.

09-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
Many thanks for the comments TRANQ

I might have to try some of the new Velvia 100 when I get paid. It's killer stuff from the reports that I've been reading.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Optio remote. Again i'll keep a weather eye open for one of those. The cheapest i've seen the CS105-305 release cable for is 25 and 35 pounds respectively. I would have made one but the three-pin plug looks like it would be expensive if not downright difficult to get hold of.

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Today I got back some landscape photos taken with my MZ-S+grip on Velvia slide film (all taken using proper filters, tripod & MLU).

I just took a quick look at them and the results are incredible. Digital may be nice but a well taken film image using proper technique yields absolutely stunning results.

I think you paid a reasonable price for this excellent camera (if you exclude the taxes, since that's uncontrollable). It was selling new at B&H for over $900 a couple years ago.

Here's a suggestion: get the little cheap infrared remote control that goes with the Optio digicams - it works with the sensor on the MZ-S' grip so you can use it as a remote shutter release instead of a cable switch. It just can't do bulb mode.
09-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #6

Ah, very nice! I love my MZ-S cameras, and I am sure you will get many great frames from them as well.

I mainly use mine for B/W films, but thats just cause I love the look of good film, right? No matter how good your digital camera is, it can not match the pure tonal range and detail you can get from Pan F+..

I would love to see the frames you can pull out of that body, if you have a film scanner somewhere as well..
09-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Inactive Account

As fate would have it there is an MZ-S for sale on this website and the seller is in England! How's this for rotten luck? Anyway, I am looking for one also but sadly his price seems a bit steep for my wallet, although it is like-new. I am getting a bit bored with digital and feel that film will snap back my creativity.

Your setup looks great and I am green with envy!

Enjoy!
09-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
As fate would have it there is an MZ-S for sale on this website and the seller is in England! How's this for rotten luck? Anyway, I am looking for one also but sadly his price seems a bit steep for my wallet, although it is like-new. I am getting a bit bored with digital and feel that film will snap back my creativity.

Enjoy!
The Z-1P and MZ-S cameras are worth owning. They have excellent metering systems. The one thing I find lacking in the MZ-S is the fact that aperture is set via the aperture ring as I prefer to set aperture through the body. I also have a Z-1P+grip which has the useful hyperprogram feature.

But on balance I prefer the ergonomics of the MZ-S (I have smaller hands) and LX which that means the Z-1P is seldom used. So I've got to decide what to do with my Z-1P kit sooner or later, whether keep it or sell it.

If you buy either camera, may I suggest you also try to get the grips that go with them if possible. They balance the camera out quite nicely. My Z-1P's grip also came with the leather wrist strap, an extremely useful feature.

09-07-2007, 05:05 AM   #9

Original Poster

Enjoy!

Just my luck entirely. This always seems to happen to me.
I'm in love with my MZ-S and it's a great camera for me.

Anyway I've had the body for a few weeks now and am getting quite accustomed to it. It's a gorgeous piece of kit and actually feels better in my hands than my Samsung GX-10 (K10d clone).

The battery pack just added to what was already an awesome camera. As for the 50/1.4A, well I didn't really need that as I already had the M-version but I thought what the hell it deserves to have it's own high-end standard lens.

So I am loving it despite the customs charges. I'm looking forward to spending some real quality time with this camera. I've worked hard enough for it!
09-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Enjoy!
Well, my MZ-S + grip & screen is still up for sale and, as I stated, anything sensible will be considered.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/10626-fs-collec...g-10-grip.html
10-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scribble Quote
Ah, very nice! I love my MZ-S cameras, and I am sure you will get many great frames from them as well.

I mainly use mine for B/W films, but thats just cause I love the look of good film, right? No matter how good your digital camera is, it can not match the pure tonal range and detail you can get from Pan F+..
In addition to colour photography with the K10, I plan to do some B&W shooting with film camera as well.
All the automatism of digital, somehow ignites the interest into using older film cams too.