Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Try handling an 'AP' or K or SV sometime. Then have a go with a working ES or ES II. Then try out a K2. You will be in trouble. You will want to keep them all.
The K2 I gotvia eBay is in working condition but it has me scouring for a better body when I read the reviews from you guys I had to see for myself even not cosmetically flawless it is one solid piece of product, everytime I go on eBay the search starts with Pentax

03-16-2011, 03:33 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I have Asahi pentax K1000 and Sony Alpha 100. I love both of them .I think i like playing with film more ... Firstly k1000 as most of us know has no automated control. not even auto sensing of the film ASA/ISO . If the light meter does not work better .. you start thinking about light more objectively rather than being dependent on what light meter tells you . Since you have to perform so much manually .. you are a bit more careful and you put lot of thought in composing your pic as all of 36 frames that you are limited in one roll have to come out well!!!!.

Secondly .. How the pic eventually will come out remains a suspense till you get your negatives processed ..and if you develop them in your own darkroom (which i dont do) i can understand what feeling that would be .!!I scan my negatives.. and i love doing that ..

I love the film grain as well ..

Only thing in k1000 (not true for all film SLRs )is that this is definitely not recommended for Birding in flight..continuous focussing shots etc. But portraiture, wildlife , general photography .. its a different feeling using a film SLR. simply love it !!!.

Pros according to me
1. Cheap (at a fraction of cost as compared to newer DSLRs) Body only .
2. for 10000 Actuations (below average for a busy photographer ) say a year which is much less in my case (may be 6000) .. DSLR will give me better ROI in 2.5 - 3 Years . (calculation may vary )
3. More thought goes into composition rather than trial and error and takin 5 shots for one that you were looking for .

Cons

1. Digital SLR helps you have a better control on final output and helps rectify your errors and you can not miss on that "must Click" moment .like AF for that rare bird in flight .
2. For pros ..DSLR gives better return on investment . (more actuations , better returns )
3. Convenience .
4. Flexibility of choosing ISO .
5. relatively easier to get a "good" photograph . Auto and other scene modes help doing lot of stuff for you !!

Again.. these are my thoughts .. I love film..but do i want K5 .. Oh yes Sir!!!..
03-16-2011, 05:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

My ME Super makes me smile when I hold it, but the cost of getting film processed makes me scowl - if I shot B&W I would do it myself but I take colour slides and run them through a Nikon scanner. For tricky subjects being able to check the exposure in the LCD panel is a huge boon as well.

So, nearly all the time I use my K7. I smiled the first time I handled one of those as well.
03-16-2011, 05:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can understand the OPs comments. I am playing this week with my PZ-1

The thing that really screws me up is that the PZ-1'is so close to a DSLR that I find I am continually looking at the camera back for the check image

03-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #20

I think that what everyone has said thus far is very true, but for me comes down to two things...feel and surprise. Even with the garbage ergonomics of the 60's-80's cameras that are shaped like bricks I still enjoy holding my K1000 or MX much more than my K20d. They are smaller and less fiddly. As for the surprise, I think that there is something for not being sure about what's on the film until you develop it.
03-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I can understand the OPs comments. I am playing this week with my PZ-1

The thing that really screws me up is that the PZ-1'is so close to a DSLR that I find I am continually looking at the camera back for the check image
Yeah, I have the same reaction to the ZX-L.
03-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge:
Yeah, I have the same reaction to the ZX-L.
I don't have that problem with my ZX-M. The previous owner placed a large M00N-EYES sticker on the camera back, so if I try to chimp, I just see these EYES looking back at me. Away from me, actually, which is even more insulting.
03-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Apparently Fuji is working on a "Leica M style" digital point and shoot with a huge viewfinder and manual controls. All the feel of a film rangefinder.

But unfortunately it's expensive and does not have a removable lens.

But it could be the start of a trend, bigger viewfinders and more manual controls ... Maybe ?

Linky :

Home | The FinePix X100 Professional Photographer's compact digital camera from Fujifilm

and review :

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmx100/

03-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

It has been released spystyle, unfortunately the plant was damaged in the earthquake and production is now on hold. this of course means the price has skyrocketed on ebay. It's also still not film. not true b/w, more limited DR, and given the pricing it's hit on ebay right now more expensive than buying a leica m6 with a summicron 50 f2
as nice as the fuji is (and it is nice) for the current value i'd rather have the leica which has as close to zero a cost of ownership as is possible (they never really seem to devalue)
03-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good point - and I am surprised the plant is not in China (???)
03-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Flagships are frequently mij
Nikon lost all full frame production and the f6 line (which will likely spell the demise of probably the most sophisticated film camera ever made)
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Focus, aperture and shutter speed. What could be easier? Simple is best.
Highly automated 35mm film SLRs from the AF era are as bad as DSLRs.
You can keep your multifunction dials, numerous tiny buttons, LCD panels and 200-page instruction manuals.
Give me a classic manual focus Pentax any day...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-29-2011 at 06:37 PM.
03-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been thinking of a new kind of cheap P&S for students.

How about a cheap P&S like a Kodak EasyShare, I personally consider those cheap but good (for their intended purpose).

But this camera has no video LCD, just an LCD like a watch with some numbers. In other words you can't compose and edit and see what your pictures look like using the LCD.

On the top of the camera there would be 3 dials, "ISO" "aperture" and "shutter speed"

In the viewfinder would be a needle exposure meter, like on the K1000 film SLR.

And the lens is manual focus, fixed 50mm f/2 equivalent that can stop down to f/16.

And a shutter that goes from 1/1000 all that way to 8 seconds.

And a hot shoe with no TTL

That could cost $100 if mass produced and make a great student camera. Students using it could quickly learn the fundamentals of photography without any of the cost of developing.

And who knows why not give it a C-mount to use manual focus lenses that are plentiful ?

I'm surprised something like this doesn't exist, there really is no replacement for the K1000 as a "student camera"

Why is there is no "digital student camera" (!!!)

OK rant over
03-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Focus, aperture and shutter speed. What could be easier? Simple is best.
Highly automated 35mm film SLRs from the AF era are as bad as DSLRs.
You can keep your multifunction dials, numerous tiny buttons, LCD panels and 200-page instructon manuals.
Give me a classic manual focus Pentax any day...

Chris
Even the cameras from the A era are annoying in the controls. My Superprogram and 645, with similar controls, stay set and used as manual or AV with the aperture ring.
02-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #30
Forum Member

Film works at least as well in 2014 as it did in 2004, or 1994, or 1964; it's just more expensive now, and there are fewer options, but I have to say the quality is as good as ever.

I've just spent the better part of a week with sorting and organizing my film cameras. I will have to let some go, to make room for some new friends.

I took a few out and captured a few memories, experienced the "magic" of film (I already know and understand that some images will be disappointing, some will be as I expect, one or two will amaze; and I won't know which until after I mail them out and get them back in a couple weeks). I don't do "darkroom," I don't shoot nearly enough film any more to justify the expense, or especially dedicating the room for it.

My favorites are not all Pentax; in fact, only two: my Program Plus and my ME Super. I have other brands that use the PK lens mount, some are favorites, some not. My other favorites have names like A-1, A-four, C3, Electro, FS-1, K-90, KR-10, KSX, and SRT 101.

A day with old friends.

I'm getting used to my new friends, and they're showing me just how versatile they can be, and I think we're going to get along just fine.