Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A film SLR feels better than a digital SLR ?

Hello from Maine,

I really enjoy taking my circa 1988 Pentax P3n out occasionally and running a roll of film trough it.

Today I had fun with it, I even brought it to the department store

I call it 'film testing'

So limited, it's film is stuck at ISO 200, I have to shoot in aperture priority on account of the lens I have, and that lens doesn't zoom or focus by itself...

Then why is it such a treat to use ? Am I screwy or does a film SLR just feel better than a digital for leisure ?

I like the big viewfinder, with it focusing, though manual, is easy and engaging. I choose the aperture based on depth of field (and available light) and the camera tells me what shutter speed it's going to use. I advance the film and take the shot, clunk, the shutter sounds like a ball dropped into a bucket - and that's it. The capture is complete. There is no looking at the back of the camera, I won't know if the shot came out for a long time.

Film is more rare than digital - I compose each shot so thoughtfully and careful. I look through that big viewfinder and check for a distracting background then I move to frame my subjects. It's like a TV show in there compared to the postage stamp I see in my dSLR.

It's very engaging I guess... But it's completely obsolete I get better results from shooting digital RAW (for now, I'll get a descent film scanner one of these days) but I just enjoy using the SLR.

Why do we mess around with these film camera and like them so much ? Are we all screwy ?

Just a fuzzy idea I'm having

Cheers,
Craig

Last edited by spystyle; 09-20-2010 at 01:50 PM.
09-19-2010, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some people find old technology fascinating.
09-19-2010, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try handling an 'AP' or K or SV sometime. Then have a go with a working ES or ES II. Then try out a K2. You will be in trouble. You will want to keep them all.
09-19-2010, 06:09 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Long live the film SLR. The last true SLR's before they evolved into video-capable computers with lousy interfaces and tiny viewfinders. Increasingly unattractive...

09-20-2010, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
Hello from Maine,

I really enjoy taking my circa 1988 Pentax P3n out occasionally and running a roll of film trough it.

Today I had fun with it, I even brought it to the department store

I call it 'film testing'

So limited, it' stuck at ISO 200, I have to shoot in aperture priority on account of the lens I have, and that lens doesn't zoom or focus by itself...

Then why is it such a treat to use ? Am I screwy or does a film SLR just feel better than a digital for leisure ?

I like the big viewfinder, with it focusing, though manual, is easy and engaging. I choose the aperture based on depth of field (and available light) and the camera tells me what shutter speed it's going to use. I advance the film and take the shot, clunk, the shutter sounds like a ball dropped into a bucket - and that's it. The capture is complete. There is no looking at the back of the camera, I won't know if the shot came out for a long time.

Film is more rare than digital - I compose each shot so thoughtfully and careful. I look through that big viewfinder and check for a distracting background then I move to frame my subjects. It's like a TV show in there compared to the postage stamp I see in my dSLR.

It's very engaging I guess... But it's completely obsolete I get better results from shooting digital RAW (for now, I'll get a descent film scanner one of these days) but I just enjoy using the SLR.

Why do we mess around with these film camera and like them so much ? Are we all screwy ?

Just a fuzzy idea I'm having

Cheers,
Craig

I know the felling Craig. After years of shooting digital I'm really excited about using my old Pentax SLRs again. My ME feels and sounds lovely. Clunk... so satisfying. The P30 enjoyable but different again. The ME Super that I've jus purchased is just about to finish its first roll of film with me. Great stuff!

John
09-20-2010, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh I like the ME too

What can't they make a dSLR that's as fun to use ?
09-20-2010, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #7

I seem to have abandoned my K10 over the last month or so. I have rediscovered my ME Super and ZX5n and black and white film.
I think what I really enjoy is having to think about each shot and not getting results immediately. Decided to get my K1000 out for this weekend, a camera I have owned for 32 years, I am feeling a sense of excitement. Its probably the thrill of developing film again after such a long break.
May go all the way and get out the Pentacon FM out that I inherited. That had auto nothing.

09-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rock on
09-20-2010, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I beg to differ that it is obsolete. It's obsolete only to those who want it easy. You can only shoot imitation BW with a light gathering ability that leaves something to be desired in comparison. And step up in film format and you'll get better results in terms of IQ.
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it's considered obsolete, but I agree it isn't literally obsolete
09-20-2010, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most of us grew up with film SLR's and eventually started into DSLR's. Going home always feels great. I also have to get more film to play with my ME Super I just got this weekend. Only thing about it that's not perfect is that it's chrome, not black.
09-20-2010, 06:42 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Forum Member

I found this article, titled "Darkroom as Recreation," a while back and really loved it: The Online Photographer: Darkroom as Recreation

Whenever anyone comments on the cost of film or the like, I usually just say that it is cheaper than therapy. Park of what I love about film is that I really have to have patience with it and that the patience pays off. Digital is great and there is a lot of room to explore different techniques with it, but it just doesn't feel as rewarding. As a way to produce images, digital is great. As a way to make me shutup and focus, well, that's just not something I can do when I process my images on the same machine that I use to play Bejeweled Blitz.
09-20-2010, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #13

how does 35mm film translate to aprox Mp value? if its more than 16.2 cant be obsolete =) - intrestingly i ordered a couple rolls of film for my first slr jus tthe other day- a pentax mz-50

not as old as some but still going back a number of years - should be interesting to give it a whirl after all these years
09-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
Inactive Account

While I do have some digital cams, I love my collection of 35mm film cameras.

Over Saturday and Sunday I shot two 24 exposure rolls of 400 ISO film, dropped them into the processor's letter box Sunday afternoon, and collected the finished 6"x4" prints at 4pm on Monday: all turned out very well.

Camera used: Olympus OM2n. Film: Fuji Superia Extra. Lenses: OM Zuiko 3.5/50 Macro and Elicar 2.5/90 Macro.

I also shot some frames with a Minolta AL rangefinder, but haven't finished the roll

Previously, I had shot a couple of frames (out of a roll) using a "soft focus" filter I found for a couple of dollars in a discard bin (brand new) of my wife, working at her hobby of watercolouring.

This filter was like plain glass with a few clear glass "raindrops" scattered randomly all over it (like a window in the rain). I thought I would try the effect: it was entirely satisfactory. The image was in soft focus with the highlights showing a soft glowing halo: very romantic.

This was good , as I had recently been "blown up" for making the pictures too sharp and unflattering.
09-20-2010, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
.... Only thing about it that's not perfect is that it's chrome, not black.

Personally, though I do have some of each, I prefer the "chrome" finish: it is much harder wearing than the black.