Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Spotmatic F and Super Takumar 55mm F2: Opinions? (And mild excitement hence posting!)

Here are my two Spotmatic F cameras. The one on the left is my Grandfather's and has a 55mm F1.8 SMC Takumar fitted. The one on the right is a recently acquired version and I have found a Super Takumar 55mm F2 lens for it.

Now the Super Takumar, I know this doesn't have the SMC coating and I need to use Stop Down metering on the Spotmatic F, it appears to be in excellent condition with possibly only a little dust inside. Image wise what do people think of these lenses? Have I got a good one here? I have a roll of Kodak BW400CN in the camera at the moment and am also wondering if there is any film that would really suit this lens/camera combination?

If I can get good quality from this it will become my go to film camera as I don't want to put my other Spotmatic under to much damage risk as it has some serious sentimental value (I will still use it though, it has a roll of Reala 100 in it).

As it is I'm quite excited to get this outside into the wild, but it has immediately started raining rather heavily.......

09-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Super should be fine, sample to sample variation will probably be the biggest difference between it and the SMC, most of the time.

The f/2 version is the same lens, but with a maximum aperture limiter, put there I suppose for marketing reasons.

Congratulations, and I hope to see results here soon!
09-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those are really nice cameras. The simplicity of the Spotmatic series is quite enjoyable to me. Use them in good health. As for films, I suppose tri-x or Fotokemika/Efke would do nicely.