Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #1

MX new battery-no metering

I'm trying to fire up an MX that hasn't been used for quite a few years. I put in a new CR1/3N Lithium battery. The meter doesn't turn on. It's installed correctly-plus side up and there is no corrosion on the contacts. The spring seems to be making contact. It worked when last used. Any ideas? I was thinking of trying 2 silver cells in case it's fussy about batteries. I guess they used to be SR44's. It seems that the Duracell 359 is the equivalent. Any battery recommendations or other things to try?

09-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No good suggestions. Mine K1000 had the same problem. One connecting line inside was corroded. Also make sure that the batteries have some juice left.
09-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, i had a Minolta years ago that wouldn't turn on. took it to a photoshop and the clerk used a pencil eraser to burnish the contacts a little bit and presto, cam turned on.

but then someone recently posted that an eraser could damage the thin gold plating on some contacts, so use at your own risk.

best wishes,
09-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I had issues with the meter on my MX and found some helpful hints in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/112049-mx-mete...shuts-off.html

There is a photo of the electric contacts under the base plate. Mine just needed adjustment. Good luck.

Pete

09-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use standard Energizer 303/357 batteries in mine. No issues.

Are they in upside-down?
09-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyephil Quote
I'm trying to fire up an MX that hasn't been used for quite a few years. I put in a new CR1/3N Lithium battery. The meter doesn't turn on. It's installed correctly-plus side up and there is no corrosion on the contacts. The spring seems to be making contact. It worked when last used. Any ideas? I was thinking of trying 2 silver cells in case it's fussy about batteries. I guess they used to be SR44's. It seems that the Duracell 359 is the equivalent. Any battery recommendations or other things to try?
Just to be sure, do you have the batteries in correctly? As far as I recall, the positive side actually goes down into the body. I didn't know if you meant positive side up in the holder or the camera body. I only ask because I installed them the wrong way the first time

09-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, if worse comes to worse, you could always leave the MX as is, and use an external lightmeter or sunny-16 your shots. Live dangerously!

I'm actually glad I got an external light meter. It helps with the tricky shots that may fool the internal meter. Plus, it makes for an excellent conversation piece (at least amongst my friends).