Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

mirror stuck up on a program plus

alright guys i'm about to pick up a program plus with the mirror stuck in the up position. it's switch is turned to the manual postion . bad battery? maybe? it looks like it's in really good shape. any thoughts anyone?

09-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

With a camera that is approaching 25 years old, it could be most anything, though in this instance most anything would not be the battery. The most likely culprit is the foam bumper that the mirror stops against in the raised position has turned to goo.
03-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #3

Test battery. Replace if needed. Rotate program selector to LOCK. Mirror and shutter will release.
03-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
was able to take the bottom off of the camera and found the lever that releases the shutter curtain and was able to rotate the advance lever and was able to rotate the curtain.it was very oily.everytime i brought the advance lever back the curtain hid again. i sprayed contact cleaner on it and kept rotating untill the curtain returned to where it should .i replaced the bottom plate.the mirror was still stuck up.i put fresh batteries in it and wacked it across my palm and the mirror dropped back in place!now it still won't fire.but im further on this thing than i have been.all the electrics work.it's just not firing off...

03-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
with it set on program it just shows 1000 in the view finder. the depth of field lever has tension on it now.still doesn't fire off.
03-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newpentaxman Quote
with it set on program it just shows 1000 in the view finder. the depth of field lever has tension on it now.still doesn't fire off.
It will always show 1000 in the viewfinder until you advance the film to frame #1. If you have ruled out gummy mirror bumper and dead battery, you may be looking at a dead camera. The shutter is of a modular electronic design and when it fails, the only alternative is to replace. There is no clockwork to lubricate or adjust.

While a different camera, the service manual for the Super Program might be useful:
http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/pentax_super_program_service.pdf
Password: Pentax

Steve

BTW...you mentioned a shutter release lever...are you sure? Your camera should have a Seiko shutter with an electromagnetic release.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-23-2011 at 10:13 PM.
03-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #7

Electrical Very Likely

With the amount of oil you are describing, it is likely the person who had this camera before you tried to repair it with oil. Slapping it on your hand had an interesting effect. This means there may be resistance in the release mechanism which operates the shutter and mirror. The thing is you have to tool up to repair it. If electrical, cost of repair will exceed value of replacing outright. On the other hand, if this camera has sentimental value, it's going to be resurrected at any cost or sit out the remainder of it's existence on your desk. = )!

I'll buy the illumination window (undamaged) for $10. I can use it to replace the one in my camera. Also, if this is a black body, and the top cap is perfect, I'll give you another $15 for that. Benefits to you? $25 for parts off your camera which you won't be able to recover your money anyway, and you get to learn what makes it work! I'll even throw in another $10 for postage. The winder is worth $40 tops, and the back is another $10, in my opinion. That makes your camera body and winder worth $75 if parted out. That's a start on a used ZXn5 and a little better performance...unless you get one with a bad shutter curtain motor. Man, there is no end to this unless you have really good luck!

Last edited by coastx; 03-23-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: ,isspelled words, added text
03-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i found a lever that allows the advance lever to move through it's motion.i now have the curtain in it's place and the mirror in it's correct position.the depth of field preview lever now works correctly.the shutter will not fire.
03-25-2011, 02:10 AM   #9

Progress

I once watched a neighbor go after a rattling noise in the engine of his Volkswagen rabbit (1979), and he ended up taking the entire motor apart. It took him two days to put it back together, and it ran great! You may be able to do this, by accident no less! Think of where this may be taking you. Today a Program Plus, tomorrow a ME Super. You could be repairing Konicas by the end of the month! Or, you might get depressed and take a hammer to it. Just know that your Pentax brothers have been with you through this travail and that no matter what direction you life goes, you will never be able to get this camera out of your mind. The shutter is stuck, and the image of it will be stuck in your memory forever. hahaha

Last edited by coastx; 03-25-2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: misspelled words
07-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #10

How to free stuck mirrror on Pentax Program A

newpentaxman if you are still after a solution I have just had the same problem and eventually found Deadwolfbones had put a solution up for an MX that worked on my Porgram A.

My mirror was stuck up and shutter jammed but when I followed his lead and with camera back open, put slight downard (ie down towards base plate of camera)pressure on the back shutter arms, the mirror clicked back into place. Its now fine.

Hope this works for you and others, as so many seem to find their Pentax (various models and other brands too) will jam after firing with low batteries and a period of disuse.