Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should I move the body from my bad black Spot F to my good chrome one?
Yes, change it! 413.79%
No, Don't do anything! 1655.17%
Wait and buy a black spotmatic F. 931.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera beauty contest: Black or Chrome?

I have always found that worn black enamel cameras look very nice. Especially so for Spotmatics and Leicas.

I have a great looking and functioning CHROME Spotmatic F. The body is in perfect shape, no dings scratches or brightmarks. It was CLAed about four years ago when I got it.

I recently bought a BLACK Spotmatic F. The lightmeter does not work. I don't know how accurate the shutter speeds are or how well the camera has been maintained. I do know the paint is slightly worn on a couple of edges, the bottom plate, and the wind lever.

I would like to move the body from the black one to the chassis of the chrome one.

I have disassembled and repaired several Canon and FED 35mm RF cameras. I have also disassembled and repaired a 645 Zeiss Super Ikonta and a 6x9 Kodak Medalist II (EO).

I have never fixed an SLR before. I imagine the new things would be the wires to the hot shoe and the ASA setting on the shutter speed dial. I have dealt with the ASA in the dial a Canon 7. I don't know if that knowledge is transferable.

Opinions and thoughts please!

09-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #2

Maybe you should repair the problems with the black body, which do not sound like major repairs, then you would have 2 very nice Spotmatics.
09-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like silver/chrome camera Black ones lose paint far too easier than silver ones.
09-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just have the black one repaired. Then you'll have two cameras.

09-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

+1 to fix the black one. Otherwise, I'd leave well enough alone and just keep the chrome one.

I've spent too much time as a computer technician. The thought that one could accidentally ruin BOTH cameras is far too real.

EDIT: If you're really keen to try SLR repair, I have a bag of Pentax MX to sell you dirt cheap!
09-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter

A CLA on the black Spot F will run ~ $70 + shipping. That's the route I would go. In fact, I have a chrome ES which has a minor hitch I need to send in to get resolved. The Chrome ES and ES II bodies are sort of like black for the Spot F.
09-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Ditto for fixing the black Spotmatic.

Phil.
09-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok! Ok! I get the message, I'l fix the black one. Then I'll have two

09-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Chromechromechromechromechromechromechromechromechromechromechrome!
10-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Inactive Account

When I began my interest in photography back in the late 60's it was commonly accepted that Black Bodies were Professional Cameras because they were less noticeable, while Chrome bodies were considered Amateur Cameras and in fact black bodies were generally slightly more expensive.

In 1967 my first slr was a Pentax Spotmatic black body, which I followed the following year with a Spotmatic II Chrome body. I made it a habit of loading B&W in the black body and high speed Ectachrome slide film in the chrome body.
10-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LazyPup Quote
When I began my interest in photography back in the late 60's it was commonly accepted that Black Bodies were Professional Cameras because they were less noticeable, while Chrome bodies were considered Amateur Cameras and in fact black bodies were generally slightly more expensive.

In 1967 my first slr was a Pentax Spotmatic black body, which I followed the following year with a Spotmatic II Chrome body. I made it a habit of loading B&W in the black body and high speed Ectachrome slide film in the chrome body.
Pentax broke with tradition once with the m42 bodies. With the ES and ESII, black was standard and chrome was special order.
10-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #12

The black camera is must be worth repairing. Then you will nor have this quandary and you can use the one that fits your mood. That said I always like the look of a chrome camera, come to think of it I like most shiny things, its a weakness.
10-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Chrome all the way! They just don't make em' chrome any more. But get the black one fixed, that's a fine camera.