Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just re-sealed my MV

I bought two of the "interslice" seal kits off Ebay. One for my MV and the other for my new Super Program. I did the MV today.
One thing about the seals is some of the backing tape doesn't come off easy. Almost like really old masking tape.
I found that the easiest way to get the backing tape off (especially the little squares for the door) is to grab the foam with tweezers and pick the backing loose with the point of a razor blade.
I have to finish the film in my Program and the other seal kit goes in!

No more gooey seals!

09-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's great stuff. I've had some of the interslice kits on my Nikon FG for about 4 years now, and they're just as good as the day I put them on. I have an ME Super to re-seal if I can find the kit. There's enough foam to do several cameras.
10-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used the ME kit to reseal my MV. I used all but one piece of foam (the piece that would stick on the top of the door under the frame counter. Mine wasn't equipped) and two ~2.5cm pieces of the door seals . I'll use the same kit for my Super Program. It still has film in it and I can't remember if it has that extra 3.5cm door seal or not.
There isn't much left over after the job though.
It's "Applefest" here in Warwick and a beautiful day. Maybe I'll brave the traffic on my bike and shoot up the rest of that roll.
10-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Super Program light seal replacement complete.
Same kit. I haven't got my first roll developed yet but I have a fresh roll loaded. I like the Super Program.

10-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good work on the seal replacement - it really is quite easy isn't it?
I have done quite a few cameras now. A good saving compared to paying a professional to change them.
10-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup...That's it for gummy seals.
I had the shutter box replaced on my K1000 and had a CLA done while he was in there. I had bounced it pretty hard off a flight deck back in 1994. Oops!
I don't know how long the light seals last but the replacement ones in my K1000 are still like new.
10-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I need new seal for my Pentax ME. Do you think 2 long strips of foam worth $9? Can I use foam and felt available at Michael?
10-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I need new seal for my Pentax ME. Do you think 2 long strips of foam worth $9? Can I use foam and felt available at Michael?
If you get your foam from Jon Goodman (interslice), yes it is worth $9.00. Having used Jon's kits and also having cut my own; I can, without reservation, recommend Jon's product. What you gain is having everything cut properly the first time and pieces cut for every seal that needs to be replaced, including the mirror foam. I just redid the seals on my Super Program. It uses the same kit as your ME. Included in the kit were eight custom cut pieces in five different thicknesses/styles. Also included is Jon's special bamboo tool for cleaning off the old material.

Beyond the kit, you will still need some additional tools and supplies. These include paper toweling and/or soft cotton cloth, one or two sets of tweezers or forceps, a sharp blade (Exacto) and naphtha (lighter fluid) solvent for removing the old seals.

One last thing. If you decide to cut your own foam, you should skip the craft store route. You can get real camera foam from micro-tools.com. They are the people that supply the camera repair technicians and your best friend if you need to DIY on camera maintenance and repair.

Good luck!

Steve

10-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, Steve. You've convinced me to use interslice kit.
10-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll second that.
To save ten measly bucks, I won't bother to go out shopping for three different kinds of foam and cut it into 5 little strips and 2 dots with a razor blade.