Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rehabilitated MZ-S

Just thought I would share my experience with having an MZ-S rehabilitated.

I bought my MZ-S last year, from forum member k100d, for a great price. He warned me ahead of time that the right-hand control wheel was kind of sticky ... part of why it was a good deal. I recall k100d passing on that he had heard it was a common problem that happens with MZ-S that see a lot of use.

I have used and enjoyed the camera since, but having the sticky control wheel limited me to mostly using it in Program mode. Sometimes the control dial would spin freely (to set a shutter speed) but sometimes it would bind up. So, I just ignored it.

I finally decided I wanted the camera to be pristine. I took in to Camtech Photo in Hamilton, Ontario. (I have had good service from them before, on a Rolleiflex and a Yashica Mat.) They fixed it right up for me.

Turns out there is a rubber ring under the control wheel. With age, the rubber has started to disintegrate. The result was that the rubber would foul the rotation of the wheel (not consistently, but it would bind regularly.) So Camtech cleaned it out and lubed it, and reassembled. I suspect the camera is now slightly less weather-sealed, but it works perfectly. The click stops are definte, but the wheel rotates easily with one finger, as designed. I have taken the camera out to shoot a roll since, and I am REALLY loving it now. I love having full control with shutter on the control wheel, aperture on the lens aperture ring, and full Program just a click away. I know that such an operating style seems anachronistic today, when even top-dollar lenses don't have an aperture ring. But using the MZ-S, paired with a lens like the FA 77, is a thoroughly modern experience.

Anyway, I thought I would share, in case another MZ-S user finds the control wheel sticking or binding. It's a simple fix and well worth doing.

Pictures below of the patient after being released from the camera hospital

Last edited by filmamigo; 10-23-2015 at 07:21 AM.
09-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing your experience and the photos of your camera mounted with the FA 77 Limited. Photos of the MZ-S usually give the impression that it is a bulky camera. In truth, it is fairly compact as your photos so nicely show. (The FA 77 is a small lens). Congratulations on owning the most advanced film camera ever made by Pentax.

Steve
09-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like how they were between an analogic-digital design at the time of this camera. Notice the film counter is a modern LCD, but still in a circular shape
10-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #4

i found my mz-s used but as new shortly after it was introduced in the market and since ever its tv-wheel was hard to turn with one finger. i have always wondered why that! and there is even a hold button! but then also on my mx the tv-wheel needs two fingers to be turned so i thought that would be just normal. however, i would really like to have it turn easily on the mz-s and it's good to know that it can be repaired. thank you

10-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster

I know Marcoz, when the wheel is sticking the Hold switch seems rather unneccessary.

Regarding size -- the MZ-S is amazingly small. I was surprised the first time I picked it up. It is solid, weighty, but nearly the same size as the rest of it's MZ siblings.

In the previous generation of cameras, the Pentax PZ1p and the Nikon F90x were basically the same size, and similar weight/feel. Not much to choose between them, honestly.

But then you compare this, the latest generation of 35mm SLRs. The Nikon F100 feels twice the size of the MZ-S! Both feel great, solid and precise. But Nikon and Pentax clearly had diverged again in the priorities of their camera designs. I can't imagine a high performance camera in a smaller package than an MZ-S. The F100 on the other hand ... it had better be a good camera because it's heavy and chunky!

The only weird performance-related quirk that I would criticize the MZ-S for: a long viewfinder blackout period. It seems like that mirror is up for an awfully long time! Certainly longer than the PZ1p, which was very fast and unobtrusive.
10-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #6

Good to Know - Back on Track

Haven't had a similar problemwith my MZ-S's, but it's good to know a solution if ever I need it.

As for ergonomics - this camera handles superbly. It's just a solid, little tank, but small and shapely. I hope the K-5 handles as good as this.

I'm glad to learn that you are now enjoying your MZ-S experience as it was meant to be!

Cheers.

Rod.
10-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Love the MZ-S!

Filmamigo, you're right about the comparison to the F100. Before purchasing my MZ-S, I was tossing around the idea of picking up an F100 and eventually an F6. I borrowed my dads F100 for a few weeks and decided that while great, I wanted something smaller for general use. Picked up an MZ-S instead and was SHOCKED how small it was.

Now that you've solved this problem, I've got another one for you. Any idea where I might pickup the bottom rubber seal? Just lost mine the other day... doh!

10-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't know much about later model Pentax film cameras after say the Z1P, which I thought was pretty good. So in what areas is the MZS superior to the Z1P....what shutter speed & features does it have above the Z1P?
Thanks, Pickles.
10-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I love the MZ-S's top design, too bad Pentax didn't keep it for the later models
10-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
Love the MZ-S!

Filmamigo, you're right about the comparison to the F100. Before purchasing my MZ-S, I was tossing around the idea of picking up an F100 and eventually an F6. I borrowed my dads F100 for a few weeks and decided that while great, I wanted something smaller for general use. Picked up an MZ-S instead and was SHOCKED how small it was.

Now that you've solved this problem, I've got another one for you. Any idea where I might pickup the bottom rubber seal? Just lost mine the other day... doh!
My MZ-S doesn't have the bottom rubber cap either! Not sure if it's still available. But my k10d was missing the cap, and Henry's ordered it for me from Pentax. It took a month and more money than it should have... You might still be able to order a cap for the MZ-S.
10-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
I don't know much about later model Pentax film cameras after say the Z1P, which I thought was pretty good. So in what areas is the MZS superior to the Z1P....what shutter speed & features does it have above the Z1P?
Thanks, Pickles.
It's smaller, lighter, better body (mag alloy), can use the latest P-TTL flashes. Number one improvement over the PZ1p? The MZ-S isn't hideously ugly!
10-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

glad you're still enjoying the MZ-S and happy you were able to find a fix
10-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks k100d!

But I blame you for my new 77mm FA LTD... when you showed me the MZ-S, you had a 77mm on it (or maybe the 43?) It looked so good, and I'd never seen a Limited lens before... it haunted me until I got one of my own
10-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

should have bought the lens from me instead
but i still maintain the FA limiteds look the best on the MZ-S, none of this digital business :P