Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #1

Help! Pentax K1000 SLR

Need advice - Fix old camera or buy another....

I recently dug out my K1000 for my high school son to use in his photography class. I also want to take pictures of him on the high school soccer team. I have the Pentax K1000 with several lenses-standard to macro to telephoto. BUT my camera body isn't working and the local camera shop said it would be a minumum of $150.00 to fix it.

Since I already have the lenses, case, flash, etc., what would be a good price to pay for a replacement body? If it's more than $150 should I consider just getting the old one fixed?

Are there other cameras that are compatible with the lenses I have?

There are several K1000s on ebay but I just don't know what a reasonable price would be.

Any advice?

09-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You probably have M and/or K lenses. Almost all Pentax Bayonet cameras would be compatible:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

A reasonable price for a K1000 is somewhere between $60 and $120 depending on condition, and they are available plentiful on ebay.

If you'd rather fix yours Eric might be able to help at a reaonable price:

Home

Eric took good care of a couple of Spotmatics for me.
09-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just bought a K1000 and A 50/1.7 on ebay for $45, and both are in good (not great, but more than serviceable) shape. My advice is to look at recently listed Buy-it-Now items -- you can often find great deals before they are snatched up or their prices are driven up through last-minute bidding.
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bjsoccermom23 Quote
Need advice - Fix old camera or buy another....

I recently dug out my K1000 for my high school son to use in his photography class. I also want to take pictures of him on the high school soccer team. I have the Pentax K1000 with several lenses-standard to macro to telephoto. BUT my camera body isn't working and the local camera shop said it would be a minumum of $150.00 to fix it.

Since I already have the lenses, case, flash, etc., what would be a good price to pay for a replacement body? If it's more than $150 should I consider just getting the old one fixed?

Are there other cameras that are compatible with the lenses I have?

There are several K1000s on ebay but I just don't know what a reasonable price would be.

Any advice?
When you say it does not work exactly what do you mean.

Although I have a Kx and not a K1000, the cameras are very similar and virtually indestructable.

I would be surprised if it is not repairable.

In all the time I have had my Kx, the ony problem I have had is that it took a really hard hit at disneyland that caused the meter to fail (needle became disconnected) A local repair shop charged (I think $45) to fix it.

I guess the question is whether the local shop would just send it out to get repaired, or whether they would actually fix it themselves.

To me, the cost quoted is a go away I'm not interested cost, but at that price, I's sure there are a lot of film cameras available. In Toronto, NO ONE is taking a film body on a trade in

09-11-2007, 03:54 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I have a K1000 I would be willing to sell you. If you are interested, PM me and we'll discuss details.
11-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Repair K1000

Thanks for your responses!

The problem with my original K1000 is that the film wind lever and shutter release have both frozen. You can't "snap" or advance, with or without film in the camera. I thought maybe purchasing a new battery might do the trick but no luck.

We live an hour out of a big midwestern city and a very reputable camera store there said they would send it out for repair but the minimum charge would be $150.00.

We purchased another K1000 on ebay and we're happy with it but now I think I want something a little more advanced, (I mean a little less work to operate).

My son has finished his photography class so I am debating about selling some of my lenses and even the K1000 I just bought on ebay in order to get something a little more automatic. But what?

I am looking for something with built-in flash that I can still use my lenses with. Any advice on that?
11-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The K1000 battery is just for the metering, so that won't fix you film wind problem. Not sure what you mean by a little less work to operate. You can';t get much simpler than a K1000.

CLA's here in the Toronto area usually start at $120.00. I mention this so you have something to compare against.

I have two K1000's and still use them every now and again. Great little camera. Our big chain store in the area, reqularly has K1000's for sale, anywere from $145.00 to $200.00. I am still amazed that little camera has retain the value it has.

If your looking for something a bit more advanced, with built in flash, take a look around for an SF-1 ( i have one for sale BTW) or the PZ-1. The later is more advanced than the SF-1, has Hyper modes and is a good value these days.

Dave
11-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I suspect your original K1000 does not have any real damage. It sounds like the shutter has been bumped out of sequence. This can happen to a K1000 if it takes a jolt just in the right place. There are instructions, on the internet, where you will need to remove the bottom cover and release the shutter so that it recycles.
Use the right size screwdriver so as not to damage the small screws.
Dave....