Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Screw mount body service triage

My Spotmatic F, which had been working perfectly, started misfiring this week with the dip in temperatures. The mirror tends to stay up. but will return with repeated cycling. I'm hoping it just needs a CLA.
I also have a locked up H3v, which likely needs the same.
The problem is I can only afford to have one worked on right now.
The upside of the Spotty is that it has a meter that will work with current batteries. And open aperture metering with some of my lenses. (50 1.8, 50 1.4 and perhaps an 85 1.8, if the fungus can be removed. The 105 2.8, 135 3.5 and 35 3.5 are Super-Takumars)
However, I find the screen in the H3v easier to focus with than the Spotmatic. And I do have Luna-Pro meters with 7.5 degree finders. I also suspect it has far less wear than the newer body. I loved shooting with the H series in the '70s to mid-'80s when I went Leica happy.
Any thoughts on which would be more likely to hold up in the long run?
Thanks,
Charles

10-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not any kind of authority on servicing, but I think a CLA would likely clear up your prism and mirror. This might make the Spotmatic's screen a little easier to use. (Key word is MIGHT, and there's a lot of personal preference involved with focusing screens) Still, the H3 is a good camera (Okay, so I've only used the S3, but close enough). Long term, get them both cleaned. For sure. But, for now. you're probably right to follow your first instinct. Spotmatic= TTL meter= more of a daily user. Of course, I live in a tropical climate, so I don't really know how bad winter is for batteries. Still, I think that, with something like this. it's a lot of personal preference. Follow your first reaction, it's probably the right one.
10-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've thought about your question... I'm sort of facing a similar one in a different context.

If your heart (and focus screen) is with the H3v, go for it! Who needs all that dang automation anyhow
10-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Btw, if the temperature's a factor, it's pretty likely gummy lube, which means a good prognosis.

My heart's saying the old one for you, but whichever you really prefer.

10-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you can only get one fixed, then I'd go the Spotty F.....more features, & surely the meter would come in handy.
Cheers, Pickles.
10-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is the early version of the H3v, so the 50 1.4 won't work.