Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2007, 02:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Can i used my old lenses

Hi guys

Can i used my old lenses k and ka mount on any one of these two ?

PENTAX Z20 SLR

PENTAX MZ-50 QD

As i have a chance to pick one or both of them cheap in good working order but i dont know much about then and my google searches havnt come up with much but some good reviews

Cheers shane

09-10-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I believe both of these cameras have a "crippled" K mount, meaning you can use them with any lens with an "A" setting, but not older K and M series lenses.
09-10-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think I was wrong about the Z-20. You might check this:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
09-10-2007, 05:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks i wondered what cripped ment out of the 5 or so lenses i have some being almost the same i have 2 lenses with a settings one 28 mm simga and a 70/200 mm sigma macro.

just one more question are the cameras any good ? if you can only use them in a settings it makes you limited to what you can use them for ?

09-10-2007, 05:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
well i better do some more reading as to a newbie like me most of that whent over my head but thanks for the link ill be sure to add that to my fav,s
09-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Z20 can use your lenses with no restrictions, the MZ50 can only use those of your lenses with an A setting.

The A setting allows the camera to set the aperture of the lens.

The Z20 can be used for all conceivable photographic tasks, the MZ50 is less versatile since it requires the A setting (or an FA J lens). Macro photo with manual extention tubes and bellows become impossible; manual teleconvertes likewise. You'd have to use extension tubes and teleconverters which transmit the "A" information from lens to camera. Such are available so the practical limitation os that you'd have to forego lenses with no "A" setting.
09-11-2007, 04:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks guys you have been a great help, but one more question is there any other newer slr that will take k and ka mount lenses ?

and is there any dslr that you can use the k mounts on.

cheers shane
09-11-2007, 11:51 PM   #8

Ah, for DSLR, I know my K10D uses my K-50mm F/4 macro just fine.

As for the rest, I know that the MZ-S is newer, and uses my macro just fine, as well as all my many M42 lenses just fine.

My LX is the same, and my PZ-10. I would actually recommend that camera (PZ-10), as it is fairly cheap, dependable as daylight, and is pretty easy to get ahold of.

I would think the PZ-1 would work just fine as well, and many a photographer swears by them, and they are around $100 used at Adorama, if I remember right. Might want to double check on that one though, I always much preferred my LX till I got my MZ-S, so now I am kinda swayed on this whole AF issue..

09-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
sweet so the k10d will take the old k mount for manual focus and the mz-s it a m42 mount ? so i c=take it the z70 will take k mount then aswell in manual only buy the look of the chart. ?

thansk for your imput cheers Shane
10-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shane Quote
sweet so the k10d will take the old k mount for manual focus and the mz-s it a m42 mount ? so i c=take it the z70 will take k mount then aswell in manual only buy the look of the chart. ?

thansk for your imput cheers Shane
I'm not sure that I completely understand your question, but the K10d can use the k-mount manual focus lenses. And also m42 mount lenses, with the m42 adapter.