Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #16

Original Poster
it moves rather freely...

03-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #17

Problem is electrical, or you have something blocking the mirror or shutter. One more check for electrical, then mechanical. Clean off the battery and use a pencil eraser to gently clean off the battery terminal. Make sure the batteries are strong. Weak batteries will freeze mirror. Then check for debris, but do not force any parts inside the camera body. you will be looking for a very small piece of foam that has broken away from the mirror seat. One more thing, with batteries installed, check the viewfinder and determine if you are getting a reading through the illumination window. You should be able to see a digital readout in the viewfinder (with the lens off).

The alternative is a camera shop, and I can recommend a good one in Oakland, California. It'll probably cost you $100 to have it fixed, but that's not a quote. You will have to mail it in for an estimate. I can tell you this is an excellent repair store, and you may even want to consider buying another body from this location. Prices on vintage models are good at this location. That's International Camera on Franklin. there are two locations, the other is in Chicago. I know the Oakland store. You can get the telephone number and address online and give the owner a call. This is a highly reputable business.

Is this your primary camera? I have a black Program Plus with a cracked illumination window that works fine. Very little wear. You can have it for $50 (body only) with yours in trade. I'll pay shipping if you are in the US. Just be aware that you need to use dedicated lenses with this model or be able to compensate lens settings if you are using aftermarket products. Best lens for novice and intermediate is and intermediate is 28-105, 28-80, or 35-85, in my opinion. Takumar Super's are rugged, handle well and take pretty good pictures. Then again, if you are using fixed focal length lenses stay with your system.

Let me know.
03-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #18

Original Poster
thank you very much. i have a parts camera also.i really appreciate your input here.
03-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #19

Glad to help. I've been trying to find an illumination window for my Program Plus without having to spend a fortune. I can have it repaired at IC, but I'm curious also to know how complicated it would be to do this myself, just the part is difficult to locate.

03-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just had a similar problem with my ME super. I know that it is not the same model, but I unscreved a plate which was covering winder mechanism, from there you can move winder and release button manually. if that does not help, that curtain could be jammed. It leaves mirror up, because system thinks it is stil in action. It is just machine. I rattled and searched for reason. It appeared that something had been broken and that broken part fell of. Now it works, but don't know for how long. I spotted that jam, because curtain was not straight.

Don't know if this helps or not.