Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter

need help! black program plus shutter stuck!!

just purchased well used pentax cameras and the one i'm really interested in the shutter is stuck and of course the mirror is stuck open.the foam is great. with a fresh battery it will show 1000th shutter speed in the view finder.this thing is in beautiful shape. i tried smacking the bottom plate but to no avail. anybody??

10-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Is there anything obstructing the shutter? If not, then someone who know what they're doing might need to take a look. Sorry i am not being much help. Does it happen when the lens is off? (just a random thought)

PS not sure what you mean by "foam is great"
10-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
sorry, the mirror stop foam is in good condition.it's not sticking on it.it's like this thing is stuck in "bulb" position.
10-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I had the same problem with a Program Plus body (in fact, it was the reason why the previous owner gave it to me). On the way home, when stopping at a traffic light, I tried to gently lift the mirror up. That fixed the problem.

Later, I found out that I could re-create the symptom by corking the shutter when the mirror had not completely returned to the down position.

Give my "fix" a try, it may work. Don't force anything, however.

10-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
the mirror is already up.and the shutter is open. the mirror freely pushes down. but it slaps right back up.i'm affraid she needs to see someone.
10-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Try gently lifting up the mirror while winding and/or pushing the shutter release. Don't force anything.
10-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
nope didn't do anything. to erics house it goes i believe.
03-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #8

Pentax Shutter/Mirror Stuck Open

Camera is stuck in bulb setting. This can happen if you set the camera on B, advance the film one frame, and then reset to AUTO before releasing the shutter. To release the mirror and shutter curtain, simply rotate the program selector (dial surrounding shutter button) to LOCK. The camera will then reset the mirror and shutter curtain for the next picture. BTW, the Program Plus is one of the most reliable film SLRs ever produced by Pentax, in my opinion. coastx/14 March 2011

03-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
nope didn't do it.the camera responds fine to new batteries and such. but nothing else.
03-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #10

Pentax Shutter/Mirror Stuck Open; B Locked

Run this test with the lens off. Be sure self timer is off (red mark not showing). Set the program selector dial to B. Remove the batteries. Set the program selector to AUTO. Reinstall the batteries. Set exposure compensation to 1X (white). Now, with the film advance lever in the unlocked position (pull it away from lock until it clicks slightly) rotate the program selector to LOCK. Shutter and mirror should release.

If not, check tension on film advance. Should be two positions, locked and unlocked. If this works, your mirror and shutter curtain are locked in Bulb. This should automatically release switching from AUTO to LOCK.

Can you post a picture of this camera looking inside the lens port?
03-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

try hit the bottom plate with your hand. near the mounting side.
it works with my Super A :ugh:
03-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #12

Fearview

Nice portfolio!
03-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by coastx Quote
Nice portfolio!
thank you.

My Super A stuck agaiiin.. always at 1/2000 ..
03-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
no she's not working.i've tried wacking it across my palm.still nothing. i'll get a picture.both the curtain and the mirror are stuck just to let you know.
03-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #15

Okay, one more thing. With the lens off and the back open, you should be able to see through the camera. Looking into the lens portal, on the left, you will be able to view an aperture lever. It extrudes into the mirror bay about 3 mm and slides upward when you trigger the shutter (in ordinary circumstances). Since your mirror and shutter curtain are locked in B, this lever should be in in the upward position, too. Also, the depth of field lever which operates this should move freely - no resistance - as though it's disengaged, because it's not.

Does the depth of field lever move freely? Or, does it operate the lens aperture lever? If disengaged, you will feel resistance on the lever.