Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #16

Original Poster
Oh and Soldbear... seriously impressed with your efforts! Thanks again.

Johnct

10-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

pictures dark on the bottom

FYI, when you push the shutter button on an SLR camera you don't actually fire the shutter, you release the mirror and the when the mirror is out of the way it fires the shutter. The problem in these pictures is caused by the second set of shutter blades going faster than the first set. When they catch up, the rest of the frame is dark. Generally this is most noticeable at high shutter speeds. If you never use a shutter speed faster than 1/250th you may never see it, but if you use 1/1000 it will be there. On horizontal run shutters you will see one side of the picture going dark. It is pretty much always repairable on a horizontal run shutter (unless it has water damage or something) but is sometimes not repairable on vertical travel shutters without replacing the shutter (the standard way of repair when parts were available). The Super Program is one of my favorite cameras of all time so I hope they can fix it.
11-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #18

Original Poster
Hi, having sent my ME Super and ME cameras for CLA to a highly reputable British repairer (see previous post) , I have just had the following email.

'Repairs to your ME Super are now complete.

The ME has a defective shutter block causing the black area you refer to in the bottom of pictures. The existing shutter unit is not repairable and it would be necessary to replace the entire unit but sadly, the part is no longer available. We can attempt to locate a replacement part which would take time and involve additional cost of around 25.00.

Please advise how you would like us to proceed.'

I'm really pleased that the ME Super is now good as new and really excited about having it back. I'm really sad about my lovely black ME. Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks
Johnct