Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Something to note about the K1000. The later version of that camera is made cheaper and does not have the Asahi name on it.
These last ones were made in China. They have plastic top and bottom covers.
These are easily recognized by the lack of the stylized AOCo logo on the pentaprism.

Chris

10-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
These last ones were made in China. They have plastic top and bottom covers.
These are easily recognized by the lack of the stylized AOCo logo on the pentaprism.

Chris
Isn't that what I already said? Cheaper is more the the plastic top that was changed. I assume we all can go to wikipedia and find out the details.
10-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Isn't that what I already said? Cheaper is more the the plastic top that was changed. I assume we all can go to wikipedia and find out the details.
No, actually what you said is they don't have the Asahi name on them. That is only partially true, and misleading.

The longest produced (1978-1990) version of the K1000 was assembled in Hong Kong from parts made in Japan.
These have metal top and bottom covers and the AOCo logo, but many (most?) are badged PENTAX, not ASAHI PENTAX.
FWIW the quality of the Hong Kong assembled version is considered identical to the original Made in Japan K1000.

Looking at a photo the easiest way to recognize the less desirable Chinese version is the lack of the AOCo logo.

I was trying to expand upon and clarify your remarks to help a potential K1000 buyer.
IMO one should never assume that the OP will check wikipedia or Google.
Folks generally post in PentaxForums because they hope to find information here...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 10-25-2010 at 08:34 AM.
10-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks keyser for more advice and to Tuco (after Eli Wallach's performance perhaps?) and ChrisPlatt for their disambiguation of cheaper camera revisions.

What we've settled on is an KM on Ebay - hope it's OK to post a link for advice about it, if not, I can remove it (I had a look at the posting rules and couldn't find anything contrary): Pentax KM 35mm Film Camera Body WORKING + WARRANTY - eBay (item 170554906317 end time Oct-26-10 13:49:52 PDT). Camera looks solid and shouldn't be too expensive. Anybody any idea as to how much a fair price is? I'm thinking 40USD - 60USD. Gotta get my friend a lens too but that's probably going to be the fun part

Thanks, Jason.

10-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KM is a terrific choice.
IMO depth-of-field preview puts it head and shoulders above the K1000.
Were you the auction winner?

Chris
10-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks ChrisPlatt. I wasn't the winner but there is abover which ends soon and I plan on winning that one for my friend. I got a Pentax 50mm F1.7 in very good condition for less than €50 including delivery so we were happy out with that... I'll update this post with details when I get the KM so people know at least what the average one costs.

Jason.
11-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #22

Original Poster
Ok, so this is what I got for my friend:

1. 50mm SMC Pentax F1.7 for ~€41. I currently have one of these and am very happy with it.
2. Pentax KM with one months warranty for €59. While it didn't get a CLA, I'd say it'll do for some time.

So the total is about €115 once shipping is included. I think that's a great setup for starting off, especially when development is free (at the college) and the only thing apart from the above that requires purchasing is the film.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Jason.

11-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the best to your friend! I know that camera will be loved and enjoyed.