Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RichyX Quote
I have no issue with the brightness or size of the superA viewfinder. It's purely the LCD display that I have a problem with.

The illumination button doesn't do a great job in my experience. Quite dim and not very responsive, although maybe it's just the button on mine. Feels very awkward using it when shooting in portrait too.
I spent some time with my Super Program in dim light and you are absolutely correct regarding the viewfinder display. You are absolutely running blind with no notion of what shutter speed is selected regardless of mode. The illumination button is great, as long as your eyesight is OK. Otherwise, it is sort of hard to read.

A metered manual camera with traditional shutter speed dial might be your best option.

Steve

10-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Of course, you could buy an LED torch and shine it into the window on the front of the prism. That ought to work
10-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Might I suggest the oft overlooked P3n. I have had one for over 15 years and still love shooting it. It is lighter than the Super A, sturdier than the MZ-M, and displays the shutter speeds in LED on the right side. Easy to use in any mode, the only downside I have found is that it lacks Shutter Priority Auto, but I find that since it displays the shutter speed in use when used in Av mode, you can simply turn the aperture ring yourself to get the shutter speed you want. Additionally, these cameras have sharp focusing screens with the split- and microprism aids and are relatively inexpensive.
10-31-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Ditto the recommendation for the P3n. Functionally, it's like an MX but with aperture priority and program auto as well. I prefer it to the A bodies.

It should be available for the same price as an MZ-M or even less.

10-31-2010, 11:26 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Double ditto for the P3N. The only issue I can see is that you cannot manually set the ISO. It is DX dependent.

Steve
11-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
I purchased an MZ-M several years ago, as a replacement to my ME Super. The camera itself had nice controls, the battery grip added some weight, and I could live with the viewfinder, but the plastic lens mount was the killer. Sold it on the bay after only a few rolls and I am still using the ME.