Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kodachrome-like E6 film?

With the demise of Kodachrome is there a currently available E6 film with a similar look?

Chris

10-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never used it, but I hear the Ektar is about the closest you'll get to Kodachrome in negative film. I really want to try some....but locally the prices are rediculous I may just order a few rolls from B & H to give it a whirl. Did a quick search on flickr, and I like the results.. http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=Ektar+100&m=text
10-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Indeed, but unless prints are required I prefer to use slide film.

Chris
10-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Whoops !! That shows ya how much I know, lol.

10-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have only shot a few rolls of Kodachrome and of all the E-6 I have shot nothing is quite like Kodachrome. I am just finishing scanning my first properly developed roll of expired Provia 100F and so far I really like it. I'm not sure if it is from the expired film but it looks closer to Kodachrome than any other E-6 I have shot. I have only shot 20+ rolls of E-6 so I am not any kind of expert.
10-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There has never ever been a reversal film quite like Kodachrome and there never ever will be.

The film was first introduced in the mid-thirties and held patents in manufacture and processing which kept it unique. It was a complex film to manufacture and even more so to process. This was generally reflected in the price of the product and the difficulty in getting it processed.

It is fairly obvious that with falling sales against an increasing digital market, it became increasingly uneconomic to manufacture. A sad but inevitable loss.
10-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm not a Kodachrome fan ... what about the look do you like?

My take on Kodachrome that it seems good at skin tones, and colours that are vibrant without being reduced to primary colours (like Velvia 50 or Ektachrome 100VS).

Have you tried Fujifilm Astia 100?

10-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I tend to prefer films with a warmer color rendition. I am not a Velvia fan.
I am not familiar with the other Fuji slide films, nor Kodaks current E6 films.
I am particularly interested in the opinions of other Kodachrome fans,
as we are faced with the same dilemma.

Chris
10-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was thinking the other day that when I finish my last roll of Kodachrome 64 I probably won't ever shoot 35mm slide film again, I'll stick with BW film and digital for colour. I have been using Velvia for 120 roll films but the colours are quite unlike K64. I will probably experiment a little.

My main worry about the loss of K64 is that it had the best long term archival properties. Not sure that can be replaced.

K.
10-27-2010, 02:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
My main worry about the loss of K64 is that it had the best long term archival properties. Not sure that can be replaced.
If archival storage is a concern there are/were companies that offer a service to improve long term keeping. It was a lacquering treatment (AFAIR) used by many Libraries.
10-27-2010, 03:29 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Haven't shot film in God knows how long, but to me, Kodachrome was always #1.
10-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Kodak is current claiming the Ektachrome E100G is the closest thing to it.
This is one of the films I will probably try.

Chris
10-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm not sure about the Kodachrome "look." When I look at Kodachrome II, it's considerably different from K64, for example. I never got a lot of color consistency out of K64, even though I usually used the pro version (but admittedly not "pro" processing), but KII was very consistent, with essentially the same processing.

Paul
10-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm not sure about the Kodachrome "look." When I look at Kodachrome II, it's considerably different from K64, for example. I never got a lot of color consistency out of K64, even though I usually used the pro version (but admittedly not "pro" processing), but KII was very consistent, with essentially the same processing.

Paul
What do you mean by "Pro Processing?" Kodachrome has/had to be sent to special labs due to the chemistry involved. These labs were certified by Kodak and the only one operational is Dwayne's in Kansas. There are 2 points here: 1) There weren't that many certified labs; and 2) the developing chemistry is one of the reasons Kodak discontinued the film.