Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #1

What's going wrong here then? (MG)

Hi,
Just bought my son a Pentax MG. Looks good in and out. he shot his first film using Ilford XP2 BW (C41) this weekend down at Dungeness.

he has very long hair and I was wondering if strands of this are in front of the lens, but I'm not sure... Some other shots came out just fine. here are some of those that didn't.

What do you think?

Attached Images

10-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Johnct......this definately looks like light foging the film prior to processing.

Did you or your son experience any problems with rewinding the film back into the cassette before/after opening the camera back ? Aquick way to confirm film fogging is to view the negatives - there should be a darker density corresponding to where these lighter patches occur on the images. The darker density should also run right across the film edge-to-edge and obliterate the edge printing.
10-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I doubt it's flare.

It looks like fogging by exposure between making the images and processing as fotaki said, or bad light seals in the camera, or perhaps your son opened the back of the camera before rewinding the film.

It's tough to say exactly what's going on, but those would be my guesses.
10-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks John, appreciated.
Having just checked the negatives there is darker density running edge to edge (right through the perforations) where the lighter patches occur. This was the first time my son Mike had wound a film back. How could this have occurred? The camera back was not open. Or at least not to my knowledge...

10-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #5

Look like light leaks into the camera, whether or not the back has been open while the film wasn't rewound yet... if it wasn't open then new light seals are required.
10-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Johnct Quote
Thanks John, appreciated.
Having just checked the negatives there is darker density running edge to edge (right through the perforations) where the lighter patches occur. This was the first time my son Mike had wound a film back. How could this have occurred? The camera back was not open. Or at least not to my knowledge...

First exposures on the roll? If so, there is the outside chance of a light leak at the baffle on the film cartridge.

Last exposures on the roll with the bitter end of the roll fully exposed (dark)? Back was opened before rewind.

Middle exposures on the roll with a large section in the middle fully exposed (dark)? Back was opened before fully rewound.

In any case, the most likely cause is popping the back before doing the rewind.

Steve
10-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
Good advice. Thanks to all. we are going to shoot a roll tomorrow, process and check.
perhaps Mike's (my son's) inexperience on the rewind got the better of him and the back did pop, if only for a moment.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

Johnct
10-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shutter curtains could also be a problem, this looks a lot like what happens if you use a flash above the synch speed. Maybe one of the curtains is trailing or running fast?
Hopefully not, but it's something to consider, I think.

10-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd think a light leak from seals would produce a more consistent signature. #4 and #5 seem to break the pattern.
10-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
Shutter curtains could also be a problem,
Vertical shutter...

Steve
10-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'd think a light leak from seals would produce a more consistent signature. #4 and #5 seem to break the pattern.
That is what I thought at first except that the number of frames/turn of the take-up reel is more than one at the end of roll and less than one at the beginning.

The possibility also exists that the mishap happened at the lab.

Steve
10-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Steve's comment was going to be my question - who did the processing? I had a similar set of negs once when I neglected to put enough developer in the tank to completely cover the film. (Don't process when you're tired!). But it looks like a light leak to me. Before you shoot the next roll you could try putting some black gaffer tape all around the door after you've loaded the film in and see if there's any difference.
Nice little camera, the MG. I just picked one up for $40 a few days ago. Can't wait to shove a roll through it.