Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pondering culling some lenses.

Since I have started my modest Screw mount camera collection, I have a few duplicate Takumars. I now have 3 55s, a SMC F2, SMC F1.8, and Super Tak F1.8. My main concern is that I have an old S1a, and am not sure if I can use the SMCs on it. I really don't need THREE 55s, and also want to find a Super Multi Coated 28mm F3.5 so I can do open aperture metering with my ES II. I also have a Super Multi Coated 35 3.5 AND a Super Tak 35 3.5. Don't need two 35s either, haha. I doubt I could get much for my Super Tak 55, it is not in pristine condition, but the glass is just fine, I may just keep it for the S1a, unless I can use the SMC on it. So, to the screw mount experts on here, CAN I use the SMCs on the S1a? If so, I'll be listing a few Taks in the market place here...

11-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, the S1a is a M42 mount camera body, along with your ESII body...

Your M42 lenses should screw right on...

11-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I know they will screw on, my concern is that the S-M-C and SMC lenses are newer than the S1a. I have shot a few rolls with the S1a with my Super Taks. I am just wondering if there are any problems with the NEWER screw mount lenses. Such as clearance issues with the mirror, etc......
11-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Part of the M42 lens specification is that the registration distance is fixed and makes the entire backward lens comparability capability. The only protrusion on my screw mounted lenses is the aperture pin which is expected and poses no problem. Its my understanding that only on a couple of the K mount lenses (usually Ricoh compatible) may have the aperture protrusion back in to the mirror box where there is interference concern with the mirror.

I picked up my Spotmatic IIa in 1971, 2 lenses (55/1.8 and 28/2), so these would be near the end with the transition to the K mount around 75.

hope that helps - sorry for my misunderstanding....

11-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My reason for asking, is that I know the EARLY S1as could not use the Tak 50 F1.4, something about the rear element protruding too much. I am not sure if much changed with the S-M-C and SMC taks that would affect their use on an older camera compared to the Super Taks. My S1a is the later version, so I CAN use the 50 1.4 ( but do not have one )..... Apparently, I have nothing to worry about eh? haha
11-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
My reason for asking, is that I know the EARLY S1as could not use the Tak 50 F1.4, something about the rear element protruding too much. I am not sure if much changed with the S-M-C and SMC taks that would affect their use on an older camera compared to the Super Taks. My S1a is the later version, so I CAN use the 50 1.4 ( but do not have one )..... Apparently, I have nothing to worry about eh? haha
Stratman... you have it right. Super Tak 1.4 should not be placed on a an early S1a (Green "R" Rewind knob) I am NOT aware of any other limitations. The SMC lenses other than 50 1.4 should be fine. So yes, overall you should be fine!

On the other hand, I personally prefer Super Taks over the SMC's. Just something about the contrast on the SMCs seems a little heavy handed to me. Just my opinion of course.

woof!
11-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I thought they would be fine, but just wanted to be sure....
11-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just my 2 cents, but unless I really needed some money or didn't use the film equipment at all, I don't see a lot of point in selling these Taks. Because I liked to shoot the same scene with different films, I was likely to find a use for duplicate film bodies and lenses, especially screw mount in the most common range. With screw mounts, lens changes were not as fast for me, so having almost the same lens mounted to different bodies was quite convenient. But then, if you never use them that way, perhaps it makes sense to thin the herd.