Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I was lucky enough to find an old 12 exposure roll of film sitting in a cupboard at the same time I had an ME to test. I try to keep to no more than 2 film bodies loaded at once or I'll end up leaving bodies sitting for months with partially exposed rolls in them. It doesn't help that all the film I've purchased recently has been 36 exposure rolls.
Rules of Film observations:
with 24 exposures you invariably get to the best photo opportunity just as your counter reaches 22.
with 36 exposures you invariably have nothing to say towards the end of the roll, but damnit, you'll squeeze 38 shots to the roll.

Law of Under-utilization: Why not give up on the 36 exposure roll, say at 24 or 26? What's the big deal? Here is the big deal: just two weeks ago my wife wanted to get some pictures quick, and they were on a 36 exposure roll of Fuji 160S. I swallowed hard and rewound well short of 38. Inevitable consequence: the CVS minilab went down immediately after I dropped the film off. Wasn't back in business for a week. When wife picked up the film + CD, there were roller marks all over the film. Had I shot the entire roll I would have taken it to a better CVS and all would have been good, plus done sooner.

Oh, and due to the CVS screw up, I didn't pick up the 4 packs of film (both Kodak and CVS brand) that were on sale.

11-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I don't feel so bad. Only 3 cameras with unfinished rolls and not much time to go out and finish them off too. And when there is time, it is raining
11-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rain is good for photos. Don't let these newfangled electric everything gizmos cloud your perceptions: good old film cameras can take a bit of rain. And snow. Oh, and cold: they don't need no stinking batteries to hold their curtains open...
11-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Has anyone resorted to keeping track of what's where - or what went through what camera + lens - on an index card?
Modern man that I am I keep this information on my computer, but of course I obsessively write everything down. (On whatever paper happens to be available, for later transfer to my computer.) 7 in progress rolls, surely that's as it should be?

Oh, and cold: they don't need no stinking batteries to hold their curtains open...
But the shutter mechanism freezes. Or at least the lubrication in it does.

11-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slowly, but surely! I managed to do about a half dozen shots with the Lynx 5000 this evening and a couple with the Zorki 4K on Friday. As for the K64 in the KX...I am just going to have to bit the bullet and shoot crazy to finish the roll. Only 7 weeks until zero hour on the Kodachrome!

Steve
11-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I tore through the last few frames of TRi-X I had in my 1V RS. A 36 exposure film in a camera capable of 10FPS doesn't last long, the only issue I have with the Canon Pelicle mirror based 1V RS is that the focus and metering are locked when you're shooting at that speed. The non-existant blackout time is a bit unnerving though. Through all my years of using SLR cameras, using a camera that has a viewfinder that doesn't ever black out feels very odd. However, the sound of the shutter more than makes up for it.
11-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has anyone resorted to keeping track of what's where - or what went through what camera + lens - on an index card?
I took some notes in the 70s, but my practice during the 80s-90s was to carry a small spiral-topped note pad with subject and exposure information on it for any serious shooting. I abandoned these some time in the last decade when I started shooting digital. A year or so ago, when I reconditioned my film bodies, I tried with mixed success to revive the habit.

I never thought when I was taking these notes that they would be entered into something called an EXIF of something called a "scan" of the shot 25-30 years later.
11-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I took some notes in the 70s, but my practice during the 80s-90s was to carry a small spiral-topped note pad with subject and exposure information on it for any serious shooting. I abandoned these some time in the last decade when I started shooting digital. A year or so ago, when I reconditioned my film bodies, I tried with mixed success to revive the habit.

I never thought when I was taking these notes that they would be entered into something called an EXIF of something called a "scan" of the shot 25-30 years later.
Heheh. That's kind of a lucky thing you did that: I used to have the most remarkable memory for like every shot I took. (I was pretty astounded when I recovered like a ton of my old negs some years ago, and as I did some sorting, I was surprised to find I still had pretty vivid memory of taking the shots, including exposure data, or at least what I could be sure I would have done. Not so easy, now.

It's funny to think of what I imagined photo technology would look like back then. (I did predict SR, but I imagined impossibly-small gyroscopes. You know you're an analog thinker when... )

Digital storage, too. Never seem to have thought the film would be optional, though.

How's the shoulder doing, anyway? I mentioned a thing on the last page that might help you shoot if you'll be nursing that a while.

11-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #24
Forum Member

Yea,

I have vowed not to load more than two cameras at a time.
11-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Heheh. That's kind of a lucky thing you did that: I used to have the most remarkable memory for like every shot I took. (I was pretty astounded when I recovered like a ton of my old negs some years ago, and as I did some sorting, I was surprised to find I still had pretty vivid memory of taking the shots, including exposure data, or at least what I could be sure I would have done. Not so easy, now.

It's funny to think of what I imagined photo technology would look like back then. (I did predict SR, but I imagined impossibly-small gyroscopes. You know you're an analog thinker when... )

Digital storage, too. Never seem to have thought the film would be optional, though.

How's the shoulder doing, anyway? I mentioned a thing on the last page that might help you shoot if you'll be nursing that a while.
The shoulder is still a bother and what causes it to be a problem changes every day. Thanks for the suggestion about the bracket. I haven't had the chance to look into it. The weather has gotten colder and it is not as inviting to go out and shoot. I'm trying to catch up at the office.

I agree about the notebooks. It's a lot of fun just to read what I did.
11-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter

i only have one camera with film in it right now. but after seeing the list of some of you peoples cameras i don't feel so bad right after someone with the forum mind you told me that my four program plus's and two motor drives was excessive.and i had a few more...
11-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newpentaxman Quote
i only have one camera with film in it right now. but after seeing the list of some of you peoples cameras i don't feel so bad right after someone with the forum mind you told me that my four program plus's and two motor drives was excessive.and i had a few more...
Ha! Ha! Those are only the bodies that have film in them... The Ricoh Singlex TLS, Mamiya 1000 DTL, and Kiev 4A are all sitting empty. The Yashica Lynx 1000 was not counted since it is in the shop getting its shutter serviced!

Steve
11-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #28
Site Supporter

One down and several more to go. The KX is now empty.

Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-...That's All Folks!!!

K10D, Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro

...As far as Kodachrome is concerned, that is. My last two rolls from the last production run of the discontinued iconic film. I exposed the last frame today (some dead Hosta leaves) and now they await being sent to Dwayne's in Kansas for processing before the December 30 deadline. After that it all fades to black and white.

Steve
11-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One down and several more to go. The KX is now empty.

Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-...That's All Folks!!!

K10D, Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro

...As far as Kodachrome is concerned, that is. My last two rolls from the last production run of the discontinued iconic film. I exposed the last frame today (some dead Hosta leaves) and now they await being sent to Dwayne's in Kansas for processing before the December 30 deadline. After that it all fades to black and white.

Steve
Call me crazy, but I have still been debating buying some to try before the end of the year. Never tried Kodachrome before. Do you think it is worth it?
Constipation would not be an option!
11-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Call me crazy, but I have still been debating buying some to try before the end of the year. Never tried Kodachrome before. Do you think it is worth it?
It was the film of gods. I used Fujichrome :-)