Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Somebody got a great deal on this. Did it go to a PF user?

10-01-2007, 02:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
On the MZ-S + BG-10 battery grip - boxes, manuals, etc. for a BIN of $499 US!! Only one roll of film was put through it. This is what I've wanted as a backup camera on long trips.

Link to auction:
Pentax MZ-S 35mm Film Camera - (eBay item 170154386668 end time Sep-30-07 09:23:53 PDT)

It seems prices on MZ-S film bodies are finding a more sensible level. People are going digital, and find that they no longer really use their film cams; to justify them collecting dust in the closet.

This Pentax MZ-S & BG-10 Grip went for US $600,- with BIN (Includes original boxes and manuals).
Pentax MZ-S QD Film Camera & BG-10 Grip bei eBay 35mm SLR, Film Cameras, Cameras Photo (endet 27.09.07 00:45:56 MESZ)

“Pentax MZ-S Quartz Date 35mm Film Camera with BG-10 Grip. Both items are in excellent condition.

This camera and grip have seen very light use since I bought them a few years ago as I switched over to digital soon after that. All my equipment are kept in temperature and humidity controlled dry boxes when not in use.

If you are looking at this auction, I am sure you already know about this legendary camera. This is the last flagship and best 35mm film camera from Pentax. The best thing about this camera is the data imprinting function on the bottom of the film (outside of the viewable area) which shows the exposure info below each frame. It is a great function if you do a lot of bracketing and very useful for studying exposure and the latitude of slide films.

100% Money back guarantee as long as you mail the item back to me within 7 days of receiving it but buyer must pay for the return shipping cost.

I have 100% positive feedback since 1999. Buy with confidence.”

And this MZ-S with Grip went for 320 £, including additional Pentax GG-60 focusing screen, Pentax CS-105 Cable release and Pentax Infra-red Remote Control, etc.
Pentax MZ-S Quartz Date Body & BG-10 Battery Grip bei eBay 35mm SLR, Film Cameras, Photography (endet 26.09.07 20:32:11 MESZ)

“Having used a K1000, Super A and MZ-5n I have found the MZ-S to be everything I needed from a film camera. Unfortunately I can no longer justify the time that I have to spend on film with the type of photography I'm doing.
This camera comes with not just the MZ-S Body and BG-10 Grip, also included is the additional Pentax GG-60 focusing screen, Pentax CS-105 Cable release and Pentax Infra-red Remote Control (can only be used in conjunction with the BG-10). All orginal boxes and instruction manuals are included. As well as an extra Flash Cover, two unused CR-2 Lithium Batteries and any film I have left over (Mostly Ilford 1600asa B&W).
This camera has never been used professionally and is in immaculate condition.”

At these prices I would consider going for additional film bodies.
10-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Wow. Somebody got a great deal on this. Did it go to a PF user?
That $499 BIN auction was the one I won... I am very pleased. I wasn't willing to pay over $350-$400 for a film body. The grip retailed for around $120-150.

It's a great backup camera for longer trips where available power for recharging batteries is not readily available. He's also sending some free film, so that is a nice little bonus.

Cheers,
Marc
10-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Congrats, Marc. You got a steal I'd say

10-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #20

Yeah, that was quite a bargain. But as for the value of the MZ-S, I still have to say its a much better camera than my K10D, so its worth more to me. Guess that old film vein runs deep, eh?
10-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

That $499 BIN auction was the one I won... I am very pleased. I wasn't willing to pay over $350-$400 for a film body. The grip retailed for around $120-150.

It's a great backup camera for longer trips where available power for recharging batteries is not readily available. He's also sending some free film, so that is a nice little bonus.

Cheers,
Marc
Congratulations Marc; on your find. And also on your latest photographic endeavour.
Wouldn’t it be possible most places, to recharge batteries, also on field trips ? (Still, a backup film cam, is a sensible solution).
I’m still a bit jealous about your FA* 300/2.8, and no less, how you’re able to put it to really good use.

What I meant in regard to photographic equipment as an investment, is that consumer goods should be bought to be used. If down the road, the collector gene comes up in a person, then that's just an additional joy. And as Mousehill stated, a fairly harmless one, at that.

Without blinking, people pay 700-1100 Euro for Leica lenses, 20-30 years old.

And in the Pentax realm, many of the STAR lenses, hold their own very well. Some even occasionally selling for more than their new price, from back in the day.

Since my Z1-P has taken a lot of abuse, I would like to go for a MZ-S down the line. I’ve never owned a manual focus SLR, so I would like to look into one of the classics, one day too. Though find the LX a bit too bulky, and overkill; for my needs.
Nothing wrong with dreaming.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 10-02-2007 at 10:54 PM.
10-04-2007, 10:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter

MZ-S + grip arrived today!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Congratulations Marc; on your find. And also on your latest photographic endeavour.
Wouldn’t it be possible most places, to recharge batteries, also on field trips ? (Still, a backup film cam, is a sensible solution).
I’m still a bit jealous about your FA* 300/2.8, and no less, how you’re able to put it to really good use.

Thank you sir!

Regarding batteries: Not always in Africa... It's harder to find places to charge my K10D if I go to certain areas over there...

However, you can use solar cell setups that roll into a blanket - I've seen versions that allow laptop charging and usage! Not sure about being outside in the African sun though...

I understand about the FA* 300/2.8... I'm just glad I'm starting to learn it's nuances and show what it's capable of.

BTW, the MZ-S + grip arrived today. Both look brand spanking new in the box!!! Wow... I cannot tell it's even been used, the only clue is the roll of film in it! The seller wasn't kidding when he said only 1 roll of film was used in it. All manuals, plus extra AA, and 8 rolls of Fuji Velvia 100 film!!!! Sweeeet....

Well, almost sweet... it's the Velvia 100F, which is OK... :ugh: Velvia 50 is the cat's meow! Still, the camera and grip+ boxes/manuals etc. for a new unit is a great price... I am still happy

I'll be curious as to how it looks after shooting some images and scanning them.

EDIT: Checked the other rolls of film: 3 Velvia 50's!!!! VERY nice...

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-06-2007 at 06:52 AM. Reason: clarification
10-06-2007, 03:18 AM   #23

I just wish Pentax'd start making film SLRs again. I'd love one as my second camera, but I'm sceptical about buying second hand.

10-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by odyn Quote
I just wish Pentax'd start making film SLRs again. I'd love one as my second camera, but I'm sceptical about buying second hand.

Not this one - his feedback was excellent, and he was very accurate - it's a brand new camera, no question. I checked his score carefully before pulling the trigger.

I understand your comment about making film SLR's again. This is a very advanced camera - it has all of the features (and sometimes more) than my K10D. Obviously I am referring to the general use of the camera, and each body has digital or film specific functions. It's really nice that it can use all the functions of my 540 flash, HSS, and wireless functions with no problem. That was one of the other reasons behind getting this camera, aside from the magnesium body, grip, etc...

Cheers,
Marc
10-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Looks like some people haven't noticed the drop in price...

Just saw this one - includes the grip too - but his starting price is $999 CDN!!! BIN for $1499...
Pentax MZ-S QD Film Camera - (eBay item 120169079712 end time Oct-14-07 18:29:15 PDT)

Well, I feel REALLY good about my purchase... timing was everything on that one!

Now I have to go re-educate myself on some of the slide films... it was very interesting preliminary reading on the Fujifilm.com site last night.

Cheers,
Marc
10-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Are you looking for one? If so, several online places still sell them. Heck, I have a spare SF-10 I don't need.

Cheers,
Marc
10-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I see where you come from. Before I bought some lenses on Ebay, I don’t think that I had ever bought anything used. Never really liked the idea. Especially, because I always save all kinds of old junk to begin with; so I don’t need to buy more old stuff.

When I realized that Pentax was moving out of the film SLR market, I started looking into getting some MZ-5n / ZX-5n cams. But couldn’t find any from new. As always, I’m a little late leaving the gate.
A bit dissatisfied, I started looking into the DSLRs from Pentax; particularly the *Ist D. Many people had stated in the feedback category at Dpr that they liked the almost film-like rendering of the camera. That got me interested, and then suddenly the K10 was announced; and I read the hands-on preview at DPR.
I recently got the K10, and am very happy about it. But the fondness that many people talk about their old Pentax SLR cams, has got me interested at acquiring some of those down the road.

I would say that with patience and willing to pay the price when the good product shows, it is possible to get some good deals.
Regarding some of the old manual cams, I think I would consider buying from KEH, B&H or Adorama. I like that they go through the old cams, and make sure that they’re fully functional.

If the *Ist D used SD cards, I might go for one of those as well. Seems a sweet camera.
I couldn't really afford the K10, but as I wanted something equivalent of my Z-1P, there was little point in going below the better Pentax DSLR offerings.

Regarding charging batteries in Africa, many use an adapter to charge via cars cigarette sockets, etc. and then just give a tip to the driver, for the help.

Michael Reichmann writes about it on his site, like :
“As always I did bring along an AC inverter for use in the car, but only used it on one occasion when I was concerned that I might run out of juice on the 1Ds and decided to top up one of its batteries in the mid-afternoon.”
10-08-2007, 01:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Pentax MZ-S QD Film Camera - (eBay item 120169079712 end time Oct-14-07 18:29:15 PDT)

(!)
10-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Yessir, that's the same auction I commented on above...

It's crazy - the seller is asking waaaay too much for a film camera. Now if it was large format (possibly medium format), that price is a given, no question...

Cheers,
Marc
10-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Yessir, that's the same auction I commented on above...

It's crazy - the seller is asking waaaay too much for a film camera. Now if it was large format (possibly medium format), that price is a given, no question...

Cheers,
Marc
The MZ-S without battery grip originally sold for $1500 new in Canada. He's asking for 2/3 the original new price, which is what local Alberta camera shops typically sell used gear for. Plus he's throwing in the grip. The flea-Bay price may be less, of course, but given how few feedbacks he has he may or may not be aware of the current market price.

Slightly off topic here. I just got back from a long weekend in the Rocky Mountains. Had my MZ-S + wide lenses, loaded with Velvia slide film. It's a great combination. After 2 days of bad light, on our last day (ie. this morning) we had perfect weather and I was able to capture alpenglow reflecting onto a glassy lake surface. Alpenglow + Velvia = jaw dropping images.

There must have been an out-of-town camera club convention because I have never seen so many people walking around with $5,000-$10,000 Canon & Nikon lenses. In one spot there were about 2 dozen people all using 300-800mm lenses to take pictures of a few bighorn sheep. It was unusually crowded; I ran into photographers everywhere and I usually encounter no more than one or two others.

More off topic: I was slightly bemused at the number of photographers with very expensive gear who 1) take landscape photos by handholding their camera and machine gunning 10 of the same images or 2) don't show up until after sunrise or well after the alpenglow (no, I don't think they were at another location first since I was already at the best location).