Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K from 1958

I just recived my Pentax K from 1958. Fun to see this great old camera, but the shutter and sprocet for advancing the film seems stuck.

Does anyone have a repair manual or any tricks on how to fix this?

11-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #2

this might help...

Pentax Manuals
11-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Banned

I just received my 1957 ‘AP’ so congrats! my advice? Eric Hendrickson.
11-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool, a "AP"? That would be the first SLR modell from Pentax. How did you obtain that?

11-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Capslock118 Quote
this might help...

Pentax Manuals
Thank you! I'll look into it and check if some one have a manual for that old camera.
11-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I just received my 1957 ‘AP’ so congrats! my advice? Eric Hendrickson.
How do I get in contact with Eric?
11-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
How do I get in contact with Eric?
Web Site: http://www.pentaxs.com/

Contact information is on the Web site.

Steve

11-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

AP was not the first SLR from Asahi

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Cool, a "AP"? That would be the first SLR modell from Pentax. How did you obtain that?

The 1957 AP was not the first SLR from Asahi. It was the first to bear the name Pentax. At that time, Pentax was a model name, not a brand name. It was so successful that Asahi chose to call all their subsequent cameras "Pentax". I believe that the AP was also the first Asahi camera to use the M42 "universal" screw mount. The AP was the first Asahi camera to have a pentaprism viewfinder, hence the name.

The company name remained Asahi Optical Company until the late nineties, when they finally changed the name to the Pentax Corporation. Now, the Pentax Corporation no longer exists. It is merely a brand name, owned by the Hoya Corporation.

In 1952, Asahi introduced the Asahiflex I, which had a waist-level finder, non-instant return mirror, and used the M39 screw mount. In the years between 1952 and 1957, there were several more iterations, including the Asahiflex II, the IIa. These were also sold by Sears in the US, under the Tower name.

BTW, the story I have heard is that Contax invented the pentaprism viewfinder and came up with two names; Contaflex and Pentax. They chose to use the first name for their own cameras and sold the rights to the name Pentax to Asahi. The rest, as they say, is history.
11-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
BTW, the story I have heard is that Contax invented the pentaprism viewfinder
Ummm...that would be VEB Zeiss Ikon (Dresden/Jena). Contax was a model name in the Zeiss Ikon (pre-war), Zeiss Ikon AG (Stuttgart, post-war) and VEB Zeiss Ikon (Dresden/Jena, post-war) lines. The VEB Zeiss Ikon Contax-S was the first pentaprism SLR. Later models were marketed as Pentacon (Pentaprism Contax). They also trademarked the alternative name, Pentax. Asahi acquired the Pentax name from VEB Zeiss Ikon in 1957.

Steve
11-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The 1957 AP was not the first SLR from Asahi. It was the first to bear the name Pentax. At that time, Pentax was a model name, not a brand name. It was so successful that Asahi chose to call all their subsequent cameras "Pentax". I believe that the AP was also the first Asahi camera to use the M42 "universal" screw mount. The AP was the first Asahi camera to have a pentaprism viewfinder, hence the name.

The company name remained Asahi Optical Company until the late nineties, when they finally changed the name to the Pentax Corporation. Now, the Pentax Corporation no longer exists. It is merely a brand name, owned by the Hoya Corporation.

In 1952, Asahi introduced the Asahiflex I, which had a waist-level finder, non-instant return mirror, and used the M39 screw mount. In the years between 1952 and 1957, there were several more iterations, including the Asahiflex II, the IIa. These were also sold by Sears in the US, under the Tower name.

BTW, the story I have heard is that Contax invented the pentaprism viewfinder and came up with two names; Contaflex and Pentax. They chose to use the first name for their own cameras and sold the rights to the name Pentax to Asahi. The rest, as they say, is history.
The Asahiflex used Asahi Optical’s own m37 screwmount not the Leica M39. not sure why everyone gets that wrong. an interesting note about the asahiflex and the first series of m42 cameras (that being the ‘AP’ the ’S’ and the ‘K’) is that the body was nearly identical to the Asahiflex and it is documented that the front plate (that holds the mount) is actually interchangeable between the two camera body types. (same register distance, same size and same placement of screws) so you could with a flathead screwdriver, have an asahiflex with an m42 mount or an ‘AP’ with m37.
11-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Asahiflex used Asahi Optical’s own m37 screwmount not the Leica M39. not sure why everyone gets that wrong. an interesting note about the asahiflex and the first series of m42 cameras (that being the ‘AP’ the ’S’ and the ‘K’) is that the body was nearly identical to the Asahiflex and it is documented that the front plate (that holds the mount) is actually interchangeable between the two camera body types. (same register distance, same size and same placement of screws) so you could with a flathead screwdriver, have an asahiflex with an m42 mount or an ‘AP’ with m37.
True enough, but why replace the mount when there exists (rare, but can be found) in typical Asahi fashion, a 37 > 42 adapter so you could use your Asahiflex lenses on your new Asahi Pentax, which was my first Pentax camera, bought from a pawn shop in 1961. It lasted me through the middle 1970's. They don't make them like that anymore.
11-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
True enough, but why replace the mount when there exists (rare, but can be found) in typical Asahi fashion, a 37 > 42 adapter so you could use your Asahiflex lenses on your new Asahi Pentax, which was my first Pentax camera, bought from a pawn shop in 1961. It lasted me through the middle 1970's. They don't make them like that anymore.
because it would be easier to do a switch job than it would be to find one of these adapters. I actually have one myself, and they are indeed very rare. I would say the original ‘Asahi mount adapter’ is among the most rare asahi opt. accessories. seeing as how its a completely non-destructive swap and easily reversible, you might have a better chance of finding an AP, S or K and an asahiflex to do the job than it would be to find an original adapter. =/ all in all I just thought it was an interesting bit of info, as I wasn’t aware the first m42’s were that closely based on the Asahflex.
11-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

because it would be easier to do a switch job than it would be to find one of these adapters. I actually have one myself, and they are indeed very rare. I would say the original ‘Asahi mount adapter’ is among the most rare asahi opt. accessories. seeing as how its a completely non-destructive swap and easily reversible, you might have a better chance of finding an AP, S or K and an asahiflex to do the job than it would be to find an original adapter. =/ all in all I just thought it was an interesting bit of info, as I wasn’t aware the first m42’s were that closely based on the Asahflex.
The AP put a Pentaprism on top, and enlarged the mount from 37 to 42 mm, but kept the same registration distance. That was great news for those who owned an Asahiflex, and great news for us, because we still have that same registration distance which allows us to use ancient lenses on cutting edge cameras such as the K-5. I have an ancient book in my library somewhere that insists that the name Pentax was from Pentaprism + Asahiflex. It would have been logical, but it is certainly not the true case. Maybe Asahi thought the name up that way, then had to buy the name. I'm afraid that the only adapter I have only allows me to go back to 1957. What a catastrophe.