Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I must admit that for me, the 90s were a bit of a camera-buying moratorium--at least for SLR bodies. I had a full complement of bodies from pre-1988, and in the film days, I tended to only want another body when one was broken, lost or stolen or I wanted to carry another film type at the same time.

The discussion of the "P" series intrigues me.

I've never touched one or even seen a used body in a local camera store. I am curious what makes them so much less desirable (and known) than the bodies from the A series or earlier eras? I guess I need to start by reading this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/58289-why-no-love-pentax-p3n.html Maybe someone does love them a little more now, because I don't see any for single digit prices on Ebay at the moment.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-03-2010 at 06:29 AM.
12-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bought 2 bodies in 90's, P3n at beginning and ZX-M at end. Quite a swing in
Pentax design approach in between. P3n introduced me to electromagnetic
release of shutter. No longer having to overcome moment of inerta required
to release mechanical seer made/makes for a very soft touch. That has carried forward
and been integrated in every SLR made by pentax(except LX) Believe that decision
was made in regard to Z/M series to omit mirror lock because of.
Moving remote cable release to side of mount allowed for body to be very
well sealed,viewfinders stay very clean over time because.
Somewhat limited in regard to availible shutter speed, 1600 illford and a
say a 50/1.2, is probably going to leave you wanting. By the same token
that simple verticle run shutter allows some shots panning that if a horizontal
run was used, would probably result in some image distortion.
Was big reason why I bought ME spr originally, to replace my K1000 and
experience I had with dad's spotmatic.
12-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Well, I can't I love the one I've just acquired but it seems to be a nice little camera mechanically speaking. I spent an hour with it today. Not bad, but it's no SPII! It's a pretty solid little camera for something that upon first glance looks like it's made of light plastic and that it might be a kid's toy. That being said soon as the film roll I shot comes back I'm putting it up on CL for sale. That, an SPI, the Sears KSX, and the ME are definitely going.

I'm sticking with my SPII and my *ist. I have yet to find any K mount camera except my *ist that I can see myself using all the time. I'm still thinking about trying a K1000 SE maybe at some point, but I am admittedly a diehard Spottie fan.

This camera, the P3, definitely did not change my mind about the mid to late 80's and 90's cameras Pentax put out. As much as I like their screwmounts I really don't care for their 80's and 90's models much at all. Once they start getting away from the K1000 era I don't really get excited over anything until the DSLR's.

I do think the P3 I have would make a pretty good student camera though. There's nothing wrong with it really except that it lacks a certain elegance. It's not very graceful but it feels okay and looks dependable.
12-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Well, I can't I love the one I've just acquired but it seems to be a nice little camera mechanically speaking. I spent an hour with it today. Not bad, but it's no SPII! It's a pretty solid little camera for something that upon first glance looks like it's made of light plastic and that it might be a kid's toy. That being said soon as the film roll I shot comes back I'm putting it up on CL for sale. That, an SPI, the Sears KSX, and the ME are definitely going.

I'm sticking with my SPII and my *ist. I have yet to find any K mount camera except my *ist that I can see myself using all the time. I'm still thinking about trying a K1000 SE maybe at some point, but I am admittedly a diehard Spottie fan.

This camera, the P3, definitely did not change my mind about the mid to late 80's and 90's cameras Pentax put out. As much as I like their screwmounts I really don't care for their 80's and 90's models much at all. Once they start getting away from the K1000 era I don't really get excited over anything until the DSLR's.

I do think the P3 I have would make a pretty good student camera though. There's nothing wrong with it really except that it lacks a certain elegance. It's not very graceful but it feels okay and looks dependable.
P3 or P3n?

12-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #50
Veteran Member

If you like Spotmatics, you'll like the K1000. Its really just a Spotmatic F, with a bayonet lens mount. The body shape and size are identical to the Spotmatic, so it will feel the same in your hands. The controls are all identical as well. No up/down buttons for shutter speed. The K1000 has a proper dial.

I like Spotmatics, too. My first real camera was a Spotmatic with a 55mm, f/1.8 Super Takumar, that I bought new in 1967, with money I earned bussing tables and washing dishes. I still have it. While I don't mind stop-down metering, it won't take you long to appreciate the wide-open metering of the K1000. The only thing I miss on the K1000, is the depth-of-field preview. There's no self-timer, but that's okay with me.

I have a P5, which is similar to the P3. I think that it has five program modes, instead of three; hence the name difference. I agree about the plastic toy-like feel. Its an okay camera, but I bought it merely for my collection. It sits on the shelf and never gets used.
12-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #51
Veteran Member

P3 is what it says on the camera. No "n" that I can see.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
P3 or P3n?
12-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Just bought a P5 on the bay. It will also be somewhat for the collection because 6 bodies is really enough for the film I shoot. For $25, it is worth trying.

12-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
If you like Spotmatics, you'll like the K1000. Its really just a Spotmatic F, with a bayonet lens mount. The body shape and size are identical to the Spotmatic, so it will feel the same in your hands. The controls are all identical as well. No up/down buttons for shutter speed. The K1000 has a proper dial.

I like Spotmatics, too. My first real camera was a Spotmatic with a 55mm, f/1.8 Super Takumar, that I bought new in 1967, with money I earned bussing tables and washing dishes. I still have it. While I don't mind stop-down metering, it won't take you long to appreciate the wide-open metering of the K1000. The only thing I miss on the K1000, is the depth-of-field preview. There's no self-timer, but that's okay with me.

I have a P5, which is similar to the P3. I think that it has five program modes, instead of three; hence the name difference. I agree about the plastic toy-like feel. Its an okay camera, but I bought it merely for my collection. It sits on the shelf and never gets used.
The other camera that fits the bill if you like Spotmatics or K1000s is the KM.
It’s identical to the K1000, but has the DOF preview button, a self timer and a better ISO range. There is also a black version of the KM that looks really great!

Phil
12-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #54
Veteran Member

With the current prices, if you like Spotmatics, you should probably get one. The prices on them seem to be much more reasonable than the prices of their early K-mount successors. I liked my K1000 in its day, and would happily have one again for sentimental reasons, but when I see these auction prices (and online retail prices) for the K1000 or KM at close to or over $200 for a very basic, 30 year old camera that will probably need an immediate CLA, I just have to scratch my head.
12-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
With the current prices, if you like Spotmatics, you should probably get one. The prices on them seem to be much more reasonable than the prices of their early K-mount successors. I liked my K1000 in its day, and would happily have one again for sentimental reasons, but when I see these auction prices (and online retail prices) for the K1000 or KM at close to or over $200 for a very basic, 30 year old camera that will probably need an immediate CLA, I just have to scratch my head.
True some K1000s and KMs are way over priced. However there are some good deals out there if you search hard enough.

Example, I picked up the following:

- KM Silver & K35/3.5 for $80.00 & shipping
- K1000SE & K55/2.0 for $80.00 & shipping
- K1000 Original 1976 version & K55/2.0 for $60.00 local pickup.

I sent the three bodies to Eric for a CLA and sold the three lenses for about what I paid for the CLAs.

So for a total cost of about $250.00 I now have thee fully working K series bodies that can use any screw-mount or K-mount lenses, which the Spotmatics can’t.

Phil.
12-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
True some K1000s and KMs are way over priced. However there are some good deals out there if you search hard enough.

I sent the three bodies to Eric for a CLA and sold the three lenses for about what I paid for the CLAs.

So for a total cost of about $250.00 I now have thee fully working K series bodies that can use any screw-mount or K-mount lenses, which the Spotmatics can’t.

Phil.
Those are good deals if you can get it. If one looks and works hard enough, one can do pretty well with just about any item. Myguess is that a sweep of local thrift stores might yield some good results as well. However, most of these bodies I see on Ebay or online retailers seem to be offered for $150-$300 for something in "Ex" or better condition. One online retailer wants $150 for a K1000 with a non-working meter. (Perhaps due to the rarity of a camera that only sold 3,000,000 units over 21 years of production ?) I assume people are buying, and that has me scratching my head.

In any case, my point was that if someone likes Spotties, they can snag those for much less.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-04-2010 at 12:29 PM.
12-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P3 is what it says on the camera. No "n" that I can see.
I think the plain old P3s are this dark grey rather than black-black and lack the DOF preview?

Actually, as non-black cameras go, I kind of like that grey. If memory serves, I almost picked up a P3 at a pawnshop so as to have a Pentax film body, but I came by an ME Super, instead.
12-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Those are good deals if you can get it...

Gene,
Those prices are pretty representative for the Portland-area market as well, though the prices are a little higher for K1000 than for KM. In our area you can pretty much get an M42, K, M, A, or P series Pentax cameras for less than $100 USD and usually for less than $75 and often enough for less than $35 with the higher priced units being sold in used camera shops with warranty. The standout exceptions would be K1000 (~$120+), KX (~$120+), and MX (~$180+). A CLA'd MX with M50/1.7 goes for about $275 in a shop.

Steve
12-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Gene,
Those prices are pretty representative for the Portland-area market as well, though the prices are a little higher for K1000 than for KM. In our area you can pretty much get an M42, K, M, A, or P series Pentax cameras for less than $100 USD and usually for less than $75 and often enough for less than $35 with the higher priced units being sold in used camera shops with warranty. The standout exceptions would be K1000 (~$120+), KX (~$120+), and MX (~$180+). A CLA'd MX with M50/1.7 goes for about $275 in a shop.

Steve
Steve, which prices are representative of the Portland area? $120 for the K1000 seems to be much more than Phil paid, and closer to the prices I was talking about. M (other than MX) models are less everywhere and P models are very cheap,.
12-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Gray? Uh no, this camera looks black to me. It's not the darkest black on the planet, but I wouldn't call it gray at all.