Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Switching to a KX

I've been using my spottie and some screwmount glass for a while, but I recently bought a KX. It's a fine camera, I had the opportunity to handle it before I bought it, and I think it'll serve me well.
However, I need some advice. Firstly I am totally incapable of adjusting the ISO. I need to know how this works. The next thing is, I need to source an adapter from M42 to K. I've heard mixed things about the off-brand adapters. And, of course, a recommendation or two fro good K-mount lenses would be welcome. Something around 85mm, perhaps.

11-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I've been using my spottie and some screwmount glass for a while, but I recently bought a KX. It's a fine camera, I had the opportunity to handle it before I bought it, and I think it'll serve me well.
However, I need some advice. Firstly I am totally incapable of adjusting the ISO. I need to know how this works. The next thing is, I need to source an adapter from M42 to K. I've heard mixed things about the off-brand adapters. And, of course, a recommendation or two fro good K-mount lenses would be welcome. Something around 85mm, perhaps.
Good choice, one of the best MF cameras ever made.

Here is a copy of the KX manual, so you can set the ISO. (Password is Pentax)

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_kx_manual_s.pdf

eBay, Keh or other online camera stores should have the original Pentax M42 to K adapter.

Vintage Visulas has one for $30.00CDN. (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.vintagevisuals.com/pentax.htm

As for lenses any “K” series lens is a perfect fit. The K55/1.8 is a great normal and the K85/1.8 (on the expensive side) for a portrait/short telephoto. The K28/3.5, K30/2.8 & K35/3.5 are a good wide option. Also the K135/2.5 or K200/2.5 for a telephoto, are the best of the bunch.

Phil

Last edited by gofour3; 11-16-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Added link
11-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To this day I regret not keeping my KX when I moved up to a camera with motor drive (SF-1) - my KX did not have the drive capable bottom plate, and I could not afford an LX + winder. Sigh.
11-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KX was my first Pentax body and it's still my favorite. I own two!

The SMC Pentax (K) 85/1.8 lens is much sought after and very expensive.
The SMC Pentax-M 85/2 is a favorite of film users here but also pricey.
The SMC Pentax-M 100/2.8 is a less expensive but still excellent portrait lens.

Chris

11-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Out of curiosity, what is the issue with changing the ASA (ISO)? Do you not know where the setting is or does it not work on your camera. The ASA adjustment on my KX was broken when I got it (the design is sort of weak) resulting in a trip to Eric.

Steve
11-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Out of curiosity, what is the issue with changing the ASA (ISO)? Do you not know where the setting is or does it not work on your camera. The ASA adjustment on my KX was broken when I got it (the design is sort of weak) resulting in a trip to Eric.

Steve
It works, I just couldn't adjust it. I'm so use to the spotmatic that I was pulling up on the tab, and according to the manual I should've been pushing down.
11-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So my KX is in the mail. It has batteries, but I was wondering, when it comes time, do I need to replace the batteries with 1.35Vs, or is it like the Spottie, and able to accept 1.5v with no metering issues?

11-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So my KX is in the mail. It has batteries, but I was wondering, when it comes time, do I need to replace the batteries with 1.35Vs, or is it like the Spottie, and able to accept 1.5v with no metering issues?
It uses modern alkaline or silver cells.

To make your life easier, I would suggest that while waiting for your camera to come you download and go through the manual.
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_kx_manual_s.pdf
The password for the file download is "Pentax"

Steve
11-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For batteries I would recommend Energizer EPX76 Silver Oxide (1.55V) . They come in two packs and cost around $10.00 for the two. I use these in all my K series bodies.

Phil.
11-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
For batteries I would recommend Energizer EPX76 Silver Oxide (1.55V) . They come in two packs and cost around $10.00 for the two. I use these in all my K series bodies.

Phil.
Just curious, but what is the difference between that battery and a Silver Oxide 357? I've bought the Silver Oxide 357 batts in bulk for about $1 apiece and they seem to do fine in all my older bodies.
11-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Just curious, but what is the difference between that battery and a Silver Oxide 357? I've bought the Silver Oxide 357 batts in bulk for about $1 apiece and they seem to do fine in all my older bodies.
They are equivalent as is the SR44. Different brands, same specs.

Steve
11-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, same battery, though in the Olympus OM world the word is to use the 357 as it lasts longer. I'm not sure I've seen that for real though.

The KX is a wonderful camera, of all my various 35mm bodies somehow it has encouraged me to make the best photos, it's something indefinable. (reminds me, I need to send mine to Eric)
11-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They are equivalent as is the SR44. Different brands, same specs.

Steve

The goofy thing about that one is that Eveready sells both under separate designations in different packages. The 357 "3 pack" is far more common in local stores than the pairs sold under the EPX76 designation.
11-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's no need to search for one particular size;
44, 76 and 357 cells can be used interchangeably.
Buy whichever is available and most economical.
For best results use silver oxide, not alkaline.

Chris
11-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The KX was my first Pentax body and it's still my favorite. I own two!

The SMC Pentax (K) 85/1.8 lens is much sought after and very expensive.
The SMC Pentax-M 85/2 is a favorite of film users here but also pricey.
The SMC Pentax-M 100/2.8 is a less expensive but still excellent portrait lens.

Chris
I came late to owning a KX and I'll admit I rather like it! The M 100 f/2.8 is a lovely lens and I have used it a great deal since I got it. I have never managed to afford one of the 85mm lenses. The K 135mm f/2.5 is also stunning and a favourite of mine if much heavier than the tiny little 100mm. I have seen good things of the K 200mm f/2.5 but they don't come up very often.

Kris.