Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Abrahamsson's Softrelease for MX?

Hi there,

I would like to know if any of you is using a Tom Abrahamsson's Softrelease on a Pentax MX. If yes, which size have you chosen?
If anyone has a MX and can give me the size of the shutter release, it might be helpful as well
RapidSofties

11-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Hi there,

I would like to know if any of you is using a Tom Abrahamsson's Softrelease on a Pentax MX. If yes, which size have you chosen?
If anyone has a MX and can give me the size of the shutter release, it might be helpful as well
RapidSofties

I have a small and a large for my Rangefinder and I like the small a lot better.
Now if they could make one with the right diameter for the LX and 645...

Cheers,

Luc
11-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you Luc. Do you mind if I ask you why your prefer one over the other? For your LX, would you get the large or the small one?
11-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Thank you Luc. Do you mind if I ask you why your prefer one over the other? For your LX, would you get the large or the small one?
If it was available I would have a small one for my LXs, 645 and 500CM
Regretfully the thread is way too small for these. According to the web site it would work on the MX.
The "Standard" 15mm is too big and get in the way of any thing you need to turn around the shutter button i.e. Canon P you need to turn it to rewind, on the LX to have shutter lock...
I also find the Mini easier to use in the kind of sliding motion of the second knuckle that is recommended. The larger feels more like pushing.
Of less concern, I find a black Mini esthetically more pleasing to the eye

But that is my taste only.

11-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I would probably get a very loud one
Green, red or blue, I don't know yet. Your answered my main concern by saying that the larger one would get into the way of some commands
Thanks a lot!
11-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

I haven't used an Abrahamson version. I did use a cheap concave 15mm diameter soft release on an MX and it worked fine.

I recently got a different company's version and have used it on both an ME Super and a Minolta Autocord TLR. I have the small 'bip' in the silver bug paint. That size works well for both cameras, clearing the lens shroud and shutter speed knob on the Autocord, and sliding into the plastic recess on the ME Super.

match Technical Services - Beep - Boop - Bip - Bug

Nice shape, I like the lack of knurling on the rim, and having done machine work over the years I can appreciate brass over aluminum. But all of these are personal quirks, not criticisms of the Abrahamson design (never seen one in person)

I never tried the 15mm concave cheap version on the ME Super. All in all, the ME Super release is already 'soft' and sculpted so I don't use any version these days. I don't have an MX any more so can't try the small 'bip' on one.

Last edited by dandaniel; 11-25-2010 at 09:42 AM.
11-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for your advices dandaniel. Too bad they don't make the bip in blue :/
12-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
If it was available I would have a small one for my LXs, 645 and 500CM
Regretfully the thread is way too small for these. According to the web site it would work on the MX.
The "Standard" 15mm is too big and get in the way of any thing you need to turn around the shutter button i.e. Canon P you need to turn it to rewind, on the LX to have shutter lock...
I also find the Mini easier to use in the kind of sliding motion of the second knuckle that is recommended. The larger feels more like pushing.
Of less concern, I find a black Mini esthetically more pleasing to the eye

But that is my taste only.
Pentax actually used to make a dedicated soft release to fit the Pentax LX (I ordered one from Pentax Colorado about 5 years ago). It helped a lot on the later version LX with the deep shutter lock collar - for the earlier model it was not needed. At the time I ordered it the Pentax soft releases were actually cheaper than the Abrahamsson soft releases. I don't know if they still have any stock left (from what I hear a lot has changed at Pentax Colorado over the last several years as far as repair/parts are concerned), but it might be worth a call if anybody is looking for one to fit a LX.

12-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
Pentax actually used to make a dedicated soft release to fit the Pentax LX (I ordered one from Pentax Colorado about 5 years ago). It helped a lot on the later version LX with the deep shutter lock collar - for the earlier model it was not needed. At the time I ordered it the Pentax soft releases were actually cheaper than the Abrahamsson soft releases. I don't know if they still have any stock left (from what I hear a lot has changed at Pentax Colorado over the last several years as far as repair/parts are concerned), but it might be worth a call if anybody is looking for one to fit a LX.

Thanks for the tip. I found one in Australia and it is on its way to me.

Cheers,

Luc
12-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Isn't the Pentax MX shutter speed dial already hard enough to operate without adding another obstacle, i.e. a soft release?

Chris
12-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
Zav
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Isn't the Pentax MX shutter speed dial already hard enough to operate without adding another obstacle, i.e. a soft release?

Chris
I'll discover it soon enough
12-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Zav
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The mini soft release isn't really an obstacle and is a real pleasure to use: