Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Program A: Opinions?

I have a Program A and was wondering how people rate this camera as it does seem to be overshadowed by the Super A?

So far using B+W it has given decent results but only with an A series zoom. With quality Pentax primes should be better.

I haven't seen many of these on ebay or for sale and have never seen a Super A!!

11-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The program A is essentially a super a without Av mode. I've not sure why Pentax would release a new body with that stripped out, but for me, it's a biggie. I love the super A.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the Super A and Program A. The cameras are almost identical but the Super A has everything the Program A has and more. It's like the difference between the K7 and K5 today.
11-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In US this is the Program Plus, and it's a wonderful camera. We don't always need every available bell and whistle in our real, every day photography. The market place is such that because a 'better' i.e. fuller featured model exists from the same era, the less featured one tends to get... looked down upon?

I have the Program Plus and love it, there really isn't anything on the Super that I can't live without. The more important thing is, is the price fair and is the condition excellent? A low priced, well cared for Program A (especially with a lens you want attached!) will beat a higher priced, knocked-around Super A every time.

11-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #5

I agree with Nestor, I shot exclusively with my Program Plus until I came into the digital age. I was I always happy with the shots and the automatic mode selected excellent exposition. Although about Adam's comments, I think that he's mistaken. I think that it has Av mode but no Tv mode (for me no big loss).
11-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, I'm fairly sure it has Av mode, but only with lenses that have an aperture ring. With lenses like the FA-J series you'll only be able to use programmed auto.

I don't find Tv mode all that useful to be honest and if it's anything like its better specced cousin, then it'll be a great camera.
11-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yep, it does have Av mode as I've used it with M series lenses.

I got it for a good price and was just wanting to big it up a little as hardly anyone seems to use them or post up pictures from them!

I like it, with the ME11 winder is quite chunky..............
11-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

One advantage (for me)... the Program Plus is readily available in black. I only ever see silver Super Programs.

11-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I only ever see silver Super Programs
It think that is because they were only made in silver. The Super-A was finished in black.

Steve
11-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The big differences between the Program Plus and Super Program were higher sync speed on the Super Program ( and a different shutter), The Super Program has Shutter Preferred Auto, the Program Plus does not) and the Super Program has TTL Auto Flash, the Program Plus has Auto Flash only.

The Super Program is also a somewhat bouncier camera at slower shutter speeds (1/8-1/30 second).
11-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From memory (I owned both cameras) the Super A/Super Program had the following extras over the Program A/Program Plus:

1) 2000 shutter speed (as opposed to 1000)
2) higher sync speed 125x (instead of 100x)
3) top LCD showing shutter speed and shutter cocked indication
4) shutter priority mode
5) positive film winding confirmation window (to avoid incorrect film loading)
6) illuminated viewfinder LCDs
7) TTL flash (very useful)

There may have been other features too but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Two things both cameras sorely lacked was a aperture readout window and an exposure memory lock (IMHO essential in a program camera).

Oh and btw, both my Super A and Program Plus came in 'professional black'!

Last edited by Spock; 11-23-2010 at 06:14 PM.