Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #1

Why am I holding on to my K1000?

I'm doing a lot of cleaning out, generally, and I come to this: Why am I holding on to my K1000 and accessories?

It works; it's sealed; it sits unused. While my local professional film lab when under a couple years ago, there is a still a community darkroom where I could develop film . . . but I haven't found time to do that since 2004 and don't see that in my near future (parent of a toddler).

It doesn't seem like a good long-term investment, if film is still being used in photo classes by the time my daughter wants to take one I have to assume that a) this camera will need to be serviced, and b) there will be cameras available for purchase, probably for a similar price to servicing the K1000. Same story if I decide I want to do film photography 10 years from now.

Thoughts?

11-24-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First thought: how many film cameras do you have? I'd want to keep at least one, even if it's a p&s. If the K1000 is your sole film cam, keep it, put color film in it and have the drug store develop and put on CD for you, every now and then. If you use the camera say twice a year that should be enough exercise to keep it limbered up.
11-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Are there emotional ties to the camera? I'll never get rid of my Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL, for example. It's my first SLR and was also my Dad's first SLR. I still shoot B&W with it and enjoy it for being a simple, but useful camera.

And while I don't have emotional ties to my K1000, I will probably never get rid of it either. With a K1000, photography is stripped down to it's simplest elements. It's you and the camera. The simple meter gives you enough information to make a picture, and the rest is up to you. After you think about shutter speed, aperture, and focus all that's left is the satisfying sound of that all mechanical shutter going off. That's a beautiful thing to me at least.

I'd suggest you go with Nesster's advice and throw a cheap roll of color print film in and take a spin with it. I think after a roll or two you'll have a feeling if it needs to stay longer or if you can sell it off without any regret.
11-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I still have the Spotmatic that I bought when I was in high school, in 1967. I will never sell it, for a couple of reasons. First, it is the first real camera I had and I worked as a busboy all summer to earn the money to buy it.

Secondly, I still find that the Pentax cameras of that era, including the Spotmatic, the K-1000, KX and so on, to be the most ergonomically satisfying cameras to hold, that I have ever encountered.

My K10D is nice, and it fits my large hands well, but the Spotmatic (which is very similar to the K1000) is mucn more enjoyable to hold.

But then, I have a small collection of Pentax film SLR's, including an H1, SV, ES-II, two Spotmatics, a P5, SF1, ME Super, Spotmatic F, K1000, ZX-60 and an Auto 110.

11-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Why are you holding on to it? This is why: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/107126-i-use-k1000.html
11-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who knows what will happen to digital files in 10,20,30 years? I like to shoot a roll of film of my girls now and then, because I know the negatives will be here for years.
11-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I like to shoot a roll of film of my girls now and then, because I know the negatives will be here for years.
Only if properly developed and archivally stored. In a plastic sleeve or page with Sharpie marker ID written on it in a shoebox in your closet is not it :-)

I've had 20 year old prints go to moldy hooey in an album.

11-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like so many others my wife learned 35mm photography using a K1000.
She no longer uses hers due to poor vision but she will keep it forever.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-12-2010 at 08:58 AM.
11-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I finally have a DSLR now. Doesn't mean I don't take my SPII out sometimes just for fun. I'll probably keep that SPII and my Yashica FRI until they stop making film and/or I simply can't find a place to develop my film. I'm not keen on doing my own developing, but so long as there is are at least 2 places in town capable of developing my film in less than a week I'm still going to shoot film sometimes. I just happen to like both film and digital.
11-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Only if properly developed and archivally stored. In a plastic sleeve or page with Sharpie marker ID written on it in a shoebox in your closet is not it :-)

I've had 20 year old prints go to moldy hooey in an album.
True... but I have a lot of prints and negatives, to even out my odds. Since I also have prints and negatives from my grandfather (not archivally kept) I think some will last until my grandchildren are around, which is probably about as long as they need to.
12-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have the same problem with my 2 canon a-1s (and many fd lenses), and also a canon ae-1 that I have absolutely no attachment too. Today I finally took the bottom plate off the ae-1, trying to figure out what I might try lubricating to get rid of the mirror squeak.

I have some velvia that I could shoot and process for just the cost of postage, but... why? I have a k100 and a k200, and don't even have to pay postage to take pictures with them - or wait to see the results.

Paul
12-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I have the same problem with my 2 canon a-1s (and many fd lenses), and also a canon ae-1 that I have absolutely no attachment too. Today I finally took the bottom plate off the ae-1, trying to figure out what I might try lubricating to get rid of the mirror squeak.

I have some velvia that I could shoot and process for just the cost of postage, but... why? I have a k100 and a k200, and don't even have to pay postage to take pictures with them - or wait to see the results.

Paul
So the answer is simple! Send the A-1s and FD lenses to me! I will give them a comfortable and safe home for their retirement.

Steve
12-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

1st because you love it
then because you always hope you'll get results as good as thos with digital
and then if you sell it you will not get much out of it....

plus looks great on any shelf!
12-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I had my original K1000 that traveled all over with me 30 years ago, I'd keep it for sentimental reasons. If not, I'd seriously consider selling it and getting three of something else in a K mount, or maybe a Spottie if I wanted to keep the same form and function.
12-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It is not like you'll get any money from selling your k1000. My old film cameras have more sentimental value than the $50 to $100 that I might get if I tried to sell them.

One day, I am going on a really really cool expedition off into the middle of nowhere, where charging my dslr batteries will be a pain in the neck and emptying sd cards just as much, and then a trusty film dslr which can run for years on a little watch battery will be very much appreciated. And I'll just have to carry film.