Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That's my understanding. The 6x7 was the only fairly recent Pentax where mirror vibration was really an issue. Even the 645 does very well without a mirror lock in the vast majority of tripod uses. If you are doing very close macro work, the MLU is very useful.
You haven't used the Super A/Program then. It was really bad for a 135 body. For handholding, MLU is useless. Of the cameras I have used, I'd say MZ bodies, MX & ME Super are as good as Pentax gets. The LX isn't particular well damped or quiet w/o MLU. I would recommend against any MZ bodies for manual focus however because the viewfinders are really "tiny". Even with split image screen, manual focus was still painful.

11-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You haven't used the Super A/Program then. It was really bad for a 135 body. For handholding, MLU is useless. Of the cameras I have used, I'd say MZ bodies, MX & ME Super are as good as Pentax gets. The LX isn't particular well damped or quiet w/o MLU. I would recommend against any MZ bodies for manual focus however because the viewfinders are really "tiny". Even with split image screen, manual focus was still painful.
I own two Super Program bodies and still use them. Mirror slap has never been a problem I have noticed. On the other hand, the exposure information is so difficult to read in low light, that I seldom use them in situations where a slow shutter speed is required. I tend to use the LX or MX in low light.

For handholding, there are so many sources of camera movement that I find mirror vibration irrelevant, but YMMV.
11-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You haven't used the Super A/Program then. It was really bad for a 135 body...
I own two Super Program bodies and still use them. Mirror slap has never been a problem I have noticed...
I am with Gene. The mirror slap on my Super Program is no worse than any of my other SLR bodies (I have seven). That being said, with a body as light as the Super Program, mirror inertia may have somewhat larger affect. All the more important to have a sturdy camera support with some mass to it I guess.

Steve
11-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even the 645 does very well without a mirror lock in the vast majority of tripod uses. If you are doing very close macro work, the MLU is very useful.
I have a 645 among other things, and you can barely feel it.

Luc

11-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

All things considered, would a bin bag filled with the appropriate material be more effective than a tripod from that point of view. Certainly not more convenient (except for carrying it)

Luc
11-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the point Chris made about the mirror being a lot smaller is very important...the mirror in the ME super is likely about a quarter of the weight, as will be the shutter. Therefore this is probably a non-issue, as long as I just use my current tripod (Manfrotto 190 and a Uniloc head). Sorry!
11-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am with Gene. The mirror slap on my Super Program is no worse than any of my other SLR bodies (I have seven). That being said, with a body as light as the Super Program, mirror inertia may have somewhat larger affect. All the more important to have a sturdy camera support with some mass to it I guess.

Steve
Another reason to keep that ME II winder attached.

As I indicated before, my only serious complaint about the Super Program is the dim LCD indication of exposure information in the finder. Combined with my 50+ year old eye, it is just too darn hard to use in low light situations. It has become my outdoor film camera.
12-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

You can fake MLU on an MX by a quick light flick of the finger on the shutter button. Practice on an unloaded camera first! Surprisingly easy to do. If you don't want to shell out on an LX (although I highly recommend them) the KX is a lovely camera, nice and solid with MLU.

K.

12-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #24

On the MX, I found that flicking my index finger *fingernail* against the shutter release was the secret to consistent lock-up. A motion of flicking something off the end of my thumb, letting the fingernail graze the shutter release.